AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spline possible in my situation?

262 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  derrick 
#1 ·
I was pretty set on using staples to attach my material but I started getting worried on ripping or any other mishap, since I bought HCCV (not using blackout cloth).

I just read about the "spline" method and I think I understand it: The material is put over a groove and then a cord fits into the groove. Fitting the cord in pulls the screen material tight.

When I ordered my material I only ordered an additional 2" around, so wrapping the material around the back to spline won't work. Does this depend on the tension coming from around the back of the frame to hold it in place?

Also, is HCCV stretchy enough to maybe get it working anyway?

#3 ·
I used HCCV with spline (and only 2" overlap--I routed the groove fairly close to the edge) and don't heartily recommend it. I used 1/8" spline with a 1/8" groove--way too tight. The other problem was the roller had a tendancy to cut the HCCV against the sharp edge of the groove. Was able to do it myself, with no wrinkles--but took over an hour.

If you do spline, I'd use a router flute just larger than 1/8" with the 1/8" spline. Experiment on some scrap wood first if possible.

Spline or staples, do it like any other canvas stretching--do two middles, the other two middles, then work towards the corners.

The material stretches easy--but no need to really crank on it, as the material is stretchy enough to be forgiving.

I'm sure staples are easier, but at least with spline you can restretch if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.