AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I split the coax output on my PC. It works fine. It is split so that the digital signal can get to my receiver and also so that the analog signal can get to the PC speakers (depending on settings).

Another thing is that the signal to my receiver travels through about 50 feet of RG-6 cable where it is split yet again so analog signals can get to my wireless headphones.

I don't get any dropouts and the sound quality is superb.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about splitting the digital audio Coax output (SPDIF). I guess the first question is why are you wanting to split this? It is not good practice to just put a T or Y connector on a line like this and send it to two different inputs. If it is one of the other lines, possibly you could explain which line you are wanting to split. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee this morning but I didn't understand HiHo's response of splitting his coax so Digital could go one way and Analog another way. Those signals typically come out of different connectors so I am not sure how he is splitting his signal either. I'll go get some coffee and check later for clarification.

..Doyle

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
I didn't understand HiHo's response of splitting his coax so Digital could go one way and Analog another way. Those signals typically come out of different connectors so I am not sure how he is splitting his signal either. I'll go get some coffee and check later for clarification.
The digital and analog outputs on the Sound Blaster Audigy sound card both share common jacks. If you set it to digital out the front speaker analog output jack becomes the S/PDIF output.

When I play a game on my PC I use my PC speakers through the analog connections.

When I listen to music through my theater system I use the digital output.

If I did not split the line I would have to switch cables every time and that would be very annoying. I simply use Y-cables to split the signal.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clearification, I would like to split the coax (digital) to two different inputs on my Outlaw 990.

Why, you ask. Well, there are times when monopole surrounds are needed and other times when dipoles are needed. If I send the same digital out to two different inputs I can switch back and forth. The 990 has an assignable 12vdc trigger to their inputs, one input the trigger is on, the other the trigger is off.I have a 12vdc speaker switcher that allows me to use two different type of surround speakers for different material.

I tryed it and feel that there is no loss.Thanx guys. I did make my own cable though, of course more DIY stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.