AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Vizio 70" 4K TV, which has one "HDMI 2.0" port that supports 4k, 60Hz.

I have a HTPC, and when I hook it directly up to that port, it appears I can get 60Hz refresh rate going on the display (or maybe it's just 30 and the PC is confused) at full 4K resolution.

Anyway, I have a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver, and it supports HDMI 1.4, but doesn't appear to do 4K. If I run my computer through the receiver, then out to the TV, I don't get 4K.

I'm trying to figure out a way to just send the HDMI audio to my receiver (I watch a lot of movies with DTS-HD, 7.1, etc. so optical is out as far as I know), and send the video to my TV directly.

I bought an HDMI splitter that supposedly supports 4K, and could not get it to work how I thought it would. I even tried one of the TV's "HDMI 1.4" ports, that does just 4K30Hz, and no luck.

I have to think there must be some device out there capable of splitting the signals..

Or should I just sell my receiver (even though it's not that old) and get a new one that does HDMI 2.0?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you guys and gals can give.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Here's the problem: your HTPC can only negotiate a connection with one of the devices attached to the switch. The primary path handles the negotiation and the secondary path gets fed the same signal. So, if the TV is the primary, you'll get the video you want, but nothing more than DD 5.1 or DTS audio, perhaps just stereo. If the receiver is primary, you can get high res multichannel audio, but lesser video.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any fixes for this? I was wondering if you could just try to hook 2 HDMI's from your PC to both devices? Set the TV as primary display and other as either secondary or else audio perhaps? Not in your boat yet but I am about to be and this just came to the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to update the thread. I forgot I actually have two video cards in my HTPC -- the built-in one (on my Intel CPU), and an nVidia card. I ended up switching on the on-board card, and just using it for HDMI audio. Works great! The only downside is that you do have to have the secondary video card "in use", meaning my desktop is extended now. If I turn off the extended desktop option, the HDMI audio device goes away. Seems silly, but worth noting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts