AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to integrate a stereo amp with my ht and want to know if it's ok to plug-in a y-adapter from my rotel rb-1080's pre-out? it would split to my denon 2808 and the preamp i planned on adding. and just run either the receiver or the preamp one at a time with the rb-1080. i plan on getting rotel rc-1082 preamp...i believe doesn't have an ht bypass.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Yes you can do that if you like but why add another preamp? The Denon can handle all of that competently.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Actually, no, it's generally not a good idea to connect two sources to the same amp with "Y" cables.

The source output impedances are generally low (relatively) speaking and as such can cause loading issues for each other.

One source --> two amps with "Y" cables = OK

Two sources --> one amp with "Y" cables = not recommended

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Yes you can do that if you like but why add another preamp? The Denon can handle all of that competently.

i'm sure but adding a rotel stereo preamp should give me some improvement with 2 channel music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/14178290

Actually, no, it's generally not a good idea to connect two sources to the same amp with "Y" cables.

The source output impedances are generally low (relatively) speaking and as such can cause loading issues for each other.

One source --> two amps with "Y" cables = OK

Two sources --> one amp with "Y" cables = not recommended

should i get a preamp with ht bypass then? any recommendations that'll match with the rb-1080 power amp?

what about those AB rca switches? can i use that instead of a Y cable?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What is your budget? I am not convinced that there would be that much difference between stereo on a surround pre/pro vs. stereo on a dedicated preamp, but that is me. Have you tried to A/B carefully between these sort of setups? If you can't hear a difference, you can minimize your gear and have access to some processing (namely, bass processing) that a typical stereo preamp wouldn't allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmay /forum/post/14181436

i'm sure but adding a rotel stereo preamp should give me some improvement with 2 channel music.

should i get a preamp with ht bypass then? any recommendations that'll match with the rb-1080 power amp?

what about those AB rca switches? can i use that instead of a Y cable?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/14181568

What is your budget? I am not convinced that there would be that much difference between stereo on a surround pre/pro vs. stereo on a dedicated preamp, but that is me. Have you tried to A/B carefully between these sort of setups? If you can't hear a difference, you can minimize your gear and have access to some processing (namely, bass processing) that a typical stereo preamp wouldn't allow.

can you elaborate more on "bass processing?" my budget is around $750.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmay /forum/post/14181627

can you elaborate more on "bass processing?" my budget is around $750.

High pass filter for the main speakers to off load bass responsibilities onto a low-passed subwoofer. The subwoofer generally has lower distortion in its operating range than most speakers (within reasonable budgets) under 100hz.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/14181663

High pass filter for the main speakers to off load bass responsibilities onto a low-passed subwoofer. The subwoofer generally has lower distortion in its operating range than most speakers (within reasonable budgets) under 100hz.

forgive me if this sounds like a newbie question but can you give me an example of a high pass filter, or if there's a low pass filter? thanks..

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmay /forum/post/14181726

forgive me if this sounds like a newbie question but can you give me an example of a high pass filter, or if there's a low pass filter? thanks..

Together, a high pass filter for speakers and a low pass filter for the subwoofer are what comprise a "crossover".

Basically the high pass filter "passes signal higher than the filter's set frequency" and a similar definition for the low pass filter. Crossovers can have different slopes, but that might be getting a bit more advanced than you are ready for.

Many people use 80hz crossover between their speakers and subwoofers for example.

The Rotel RSP-1069, for example, has several available crossovers to choose from; 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 200hz. (Found on Page 41 of its owners manual) LINK

Most receivers and modern pre/pro separates will have similar offerings. I have seen some less expensive receivers have much fewer options however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts