AVS Forum banner

Split Screen 3D Trick...

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  cakefoo 
#1 ·
Im not sure if this has been posted here before or not but I just found it out couple days ago after owning my 3D TV for quite sometime now. Anyways to the point, I play alot of Black ops and other games with friends that sometime requires us to splitscreen. At E3 Sony announced a new tv that would allow people to split screen and both players still use the full screen while using the 3D glasses. Well as this intrigued me I did a little research and apparently if you have a 3D Tv that supports Top/Bottom mode, which most do...then you can do it already. So I tested it out and it works pretty nicely...anyways here is how I did it.

Basically, just start a split screen game...then switch the tv to 3D in Top/Bottom mode. It will overlay the top on the bottom making a full screen for both. Now if you grab your glasses and look through one lense you will see 1 of the players.The other eye will reveal the 2nd player. So I had some cheap glasses that I got off ebay. I popped the right eye out of one and popped left out of other. I put the Right lense in the left eye slot. Vice Versa for other glasses. Now I have glasses that Me and my brother can wear and he see's his player full screen and I see my player full screen. Though it isnt perfect and you can see a little ghosting, it is A WHOLE lot better then loosing half your screen. Anyways, enjoy and hope no one has already posted this and I missed it.

p.s. I did have to modify the glasses a little to make the lense fit correctly.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sony has nothing to do with this, as this trick works on my Samsung set and any Mitts set as well. The key is finding glasses that show only the left image in both eyes, and another set that shows only the right image in both eyes. The glasses are the key for this trick to work.

#5 ·
The Real D DLP Link glasses (Crystal Eyes 4 I think) already have the setting to set both lenses to see only one eye's view. Actually there are two settings. One setting for both lenses view the left image only and the other setting for both lenses to view the right image only.

#10 ·
Proper 16:9 3D content is compressed to 16:4.5 in top-bottom storage, or 8:9 in side by side to fit both images in a single 16:9 storage container. The TV then decompresses the distorted aspect ratio to fill 16:9 screens properly. But if your source is a standard splitscreen game, where the intended aspect ratio is 16:4.5 in top bottom split or 8:9 in side by side, then it will look distorted when stretched to a 16:9 frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.