Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum split LCD/Plasma flat panels?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6076737

this has been suggested before: we would like some feedback if you favor a split and some comments

Myself I am not sure it is a good idea but I would like your thoughts

Question: should the LCD/Plasma flat panel forum be split into two separate forums?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think it would hurt. Most topics I see discussed are either totally for plasma or totally for LCD. Except for the fun LCD vs Plasma debates of course....

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Yes, it's time for a split. Look at the number of posts per day in this section. More than any other I visit by a wide margin. It makes it very hard to sift through new posts (which can spill over onto the second page in no time). A split is long overdue. It will make each section more organized and more accessible.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think a split is in order. Once I decided if I was going RP or flat, I stayed in this forum. Once I decided on plasma, I started skipping the LCD threads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik
Once I decided on plasma, I started skipping the LCD threads.
i'm going lcd so i skip all the plasma threads :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
It'd be great to be able to search in separate forums, one for plasma and LCD. I really think there are so many TV's and model numbers from each manufacturer that it can get really confusing in here.

·
Banned
37 Posts
I hate reading about plama this plasma that, I dont like plasma I never will

Please split it please!

It would make me read this board so much longer not having to sort threw plasma stuff

If they dont split it, its ok

Because In two years plasma will be dead anyway :)

*puts on a flame retardent suit*

·
Registered
222 Posts
I own both so I would read both. But it would help on sorting through the data.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Please split it, pretty please!!!

The LCD and plasma camps seem to be quite separate. I have to slog (is this the word?) through all the LCD threads to get to plasma threads which interest me, and which drop from the first page due to LCD threads!

In addition, there may be some market research information gleaned from the number of views/threads/posts in the separate LCD and plasma forums vis-a-vis LCD/plasma popularity (not sure if you guys are interested in such data).

Anyhow, splitting seems like a right thing to do to me, but I will respect any decision you guys make.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is funny. I was just thinking about this today. I think you should split it FOR SURE! As a Plasma guy I skip all the LCD post as I have ZERO interest in LCD. I am sure it is the same with the LCD people.

John

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The technology is essentially irrelevant. This is the Super Thin Display Forum.

Plasma and LCD are direct competitors.

AVS already has enough sub-forums.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Super Moderator
21,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OT

we are looking for volunteers to maintain the FAQ section of this forum: please PM me if you can help

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Mr. Wigggles.

When you shop for these kind of TV's you probably look at LCD's and plasma's and it helps to have that info in one forum. There are way, way, way, too many sub-forums.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As a future plasma owner, I scour the flat panel section every day for any scrap of info that might be useful to me. So having the LCD posts can push an otherwise visible and useful plasma thread onto a page where I won't see it. I think most people make up their mind early on which technology they are going to choose, base on price, features and (hopefully) seeing which they like better in person. A lot less chaff to sort through if the split occurs.

Darren

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
I hate reading about plama this plasma that, I dont like plasma I never will

Please split it please!

It would make me read this board so much longer not having to sort threw plasma stuff

If they dont split it, its ok

Because In two years plasma will be dead anyway :)

*puts on a flame retardent suit*
Thanks for the completely non contributory useless post. I think we need a separate section only for you to flounder around in.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I believe if the forum is split it will be to further the sales of Plasma. As great as Plasma is it would be nice if there was something to compare it with. How about a Plasma LCoS forum? I'd love to see the Qualians do battle with the plasmaniacs--now that would be a battle. Eventually i would add SED to that forum. It will never happen though because the Industry likes selling these three technologies and the forum is not brave enough to discuss such picture quality issues--especially in the same forum--that might cost someone money. My prediction: They'll split Plasma off into its own forum--it makes most Plasma lovers happy and it will make most manufacturers happy--but it will make for a more dull forum--at least now people here talk about how superior Plasma is against Flat Panel LCD. When that antagonist is gone this forum will be just like the Qualia mutual admiration society thread--even if you love Plasma--such a forum would make me want to BARF!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm "split" on this issue. Ha ha. Split. Seriously, I too think a split would be helpful because I, for example, never read anything about plasma. (I would, but you SOBs must make a lot more money than me - I can't afford even the smallest plasma!) But one risk in splitting the board will be the newbie echo effect. A lot of people like me come here as very fresh noobs to figure out what all this flat panel hubub is about and often don't even know the difference between plasma and LCD at that point. You would argue that we should go do our damn homework somewhere else first, but the reality is that they will keep coming, and will do their homework here. It's the best place to learn and you hit the ground running amongst much more knowledgeable people. So when you have LCD and plasma in the same forum, it makes it easy for people to survey the landscape over the course of a few days and soak up info on both types of displays. Then they start asking questions of the seasoned people like "Brand X Plasma vs. Brand Y LCD?" and since devotees of both types are in the same forum, they both answer, as do many of the other just-now-learning noobs who are in the same position. I think if the forum is split, you'll start to see a good bit of cross posting between them. "I asked this over in the LCD forum and now want to know what you plasma people think." Granted, the forum's job isn't to cater to newbies, I guess, and so that shouldn't drive function, but making it more difficult for them may have unintended effects.

If you do split the forum, you could perhaps also start a newbie flat panel forum and say that that's where newbies should go with their questions, but then you'd be counting on the altruism of the seasoned people to go there and answer the same questions night after night after night. And you'd be counting on the honor system for noobs to stay in their (our) place and not wander into the pro zone and clog things up. That won't happen, because people want to go where the most knowledge is.

Or you could split the forum and then start a "general flat panel" forum, i.e. not necessarily newbie, but I think you'd find that few of the existing owners and more seasoned folks would go there, because they're mostly settled in one camp or another by now, as many of the posts in this thread attest. So mostly noobs and fence sitters would go, but wouldn't get their questions answered as well as they do now, and so would gravitate to the lcd or plasma ones as in the noob forum model above.

So... I don't have an answer, but there's some possible grist for your mill. I only read LCD now and it would be great if that were easier to do, but I don't mind just skipping over the plasma posts in the current forum all that much. And it's nice to keep half an eye peeled on the plasma world anyway. Just in case something really interesting develops and/or bossman gives me a raise.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are several new flat panel technologies due to debut soon, right? If you split your still going to need a forum for those techs. I think that having the forums separate will allow fanatcism to run even more rampant since people will no longer see or be aware of advances in the the competing technologies. Flat panel technologies change so fast, that separating this forum will facilitate the spereading of misiformation by people who who are tainted by fanaticism and are out of touch with the current state of technology.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
I'd like to see it split :p

I like both technologies each on their own merits. I have an LCD in a bedroom, but i have a Plasma in the living room as i prefer the more CRT-like image it gives me. Flatness is about the only thing the two have in common, but the size ranges are different enough that many people would probably sway towards one or the other based on screen size. In other words someone looking for a 32" or 26" flat panel won't be considering a plasma. And i think someone looking into a 40" or larger LCD would probably be informed enough to utilize both forums to weigh the differences and help him decide which one to choose.

Maybe to help the newbies learn the differences between the two technologies there could be a comprehensive and unbiased "Flat Panel FAQ" sticky at the top of both forums explaining their differences and have some Pros and Cons of both technologies to help the newbies decide which camp to join.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Thanks for the completely non contributory useless post. I think we need a separate section only for you to flounder around in.

We should have a seperate spot for people like YOU who cant respect other peoples opinions

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.