AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Channelmaster 4228 antenna, and came to the horrible relization that it is just too big to fit through the celling access to my attic.

I'm going to have to split it in two to get it up there, but its all rivited together. I assume I could drill out the rivits on the crossbars, then bolt it back togther in the attic. Has anyone done this or had any trouble with its size? Why did they rivit everything rather then bolt it together?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I thought my 4228 would not fit thru my small opening to my attic, but it does, it was a tight fit but when you slide it up, make sure that you have it going straight up and from corner to corner not side to side, diagonally.

Take a good measurement diagonally, it should fit.

Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would have been nice, but the hole's only 2' square, the 4228 is 4' wide. There's just no way its going up in one piece.:(

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
My attic access size is 24"x28" and it was j-u-s-t big enough to fit the 4228 thru diagonally. The 4228 is not 4' wide, not sure of the exact dimensions, but it is like 32" wide.

I would think that you could disassemble the antenna and reassemble it, but I am no antenna expert.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I removed the screens from the back, since they're just connected by some metal tabs, got the antenna up through the ceiling, and re-assembled it in the attic. My opening was 33" diagonal and it fit after a tight squeeze.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The CM4228 is 36" high by 39" wide by 7" deep. One might assume he actually tried to get it up there before posting. :)

The idea of removing the screen is probably worth trying first. You might be able to maneuver it up there once the screen is out of the way. If that's not enough, remove what you have to from one side until you can get it through the opening. As long as you straighten out any of the wires connecting the elements and ensure they're separated from each other, you'll be OK.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had this problem and here's what I did:

1. I went out and bought a hacksaw.

2. Now I did not cut the thing in half - I just cut notches in the two horizontal "L" bars that hold the right and left side of the screen together.

3. With these bars notched I was able to fold the antenna over on itself, with the bowties in the center. I managed to get it folded just beyond 90 degrees without causing any irreparable damage.

4. With the partially folded antenna effectively reduced to around 18" wide and 18" deep by the 90 degree fold, the antenna slipped through a 20" by 24" (approx) hole leading to the roof of my apt.

5. Once in place - simply unfold and set-up.

Now notching the horizontal bars may make such an antenna more vulnerable to perhaps hurricane-force winds (which could make the two halves of the 4228 flap like a butterfly). but if you are putting it in an attic this should not be a problem.

Good Luck

-Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.