AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Channel Master double bowtie mounted on the roof, and at the moment a single run of RG6 feeds a Zenith 1080 STB located in the first floor family room. I just got a new Zenith for the master bedroom, which is on the second floor directly above the family room.

Which would be the better choice:

1. Connect a splitter directly to the antenna and run a cable from there to each room.

2. Run one cable from the antenna to a splitter positioned at the entrance to the bedroom. From there one run would go the bedroom, and a second would go to the family room.

Is there any advantage to either option from a performance perspective?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Practically, there may be no difference. Theoretically, you want the runs after the splitter to be as short as possible. That will keep the strongest signal in the longest runs. That being said, I have a short run from the antenna to a 4 way in the attic that feeds 4 locations throughout the house. 2 of those locations have further splits for extra equipment. Everything works fine. If you have a problem, using a distribution amp instead of a splitter or a preamp at the antenna can help.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Will Benegar..

I believe greywolf has answered your question very well. I have a number of splitters around my home..for satellite, cable, and OTA. The first consideration in all of this..BEGIN with a very strong signal in all cases. I use no line amps of any kind. Use a good quality splitter..some being better than others.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both. So option 2 is the way to go. I also meant to ask for the brand and model of a high quality splitter to buy. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I've been using 1 to 2 splitters from Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Home Depot with 3db drops at each output. As long as they are rated to handle at least 1ghz I've never had a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.