AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I am about 25 miles from our markets transmitters with my antenna about 25ft off the ground. I am currently feeding 2 TV's, 3 FM tuners and an HDHomeRun device. Unfortunately this current setup involves 4 splitters and "back feeding" a run to the other side of the house to another distribution point. Since we "cut the cord" I now have enough direct runs by the first splitter. My signals are not bad, but the FM could be better on the the 2 tuners with the longest runs. Would this be a better alternative http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10422&cs_id=1042206&p_id=10016&seq=1&format=2&AID=11051853&PID=6155355&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
A splitter is a splitter. It will always reduce the signal no matter how fancy it is. Get a distribution amp like the Channel Master CM-3414 or the CM-3418, and you won't notice any reduction in signal. That's the whole point of a distribution amp. It allows you to hook up multiple TVs and radios without losing signal. The CM-3414 works great for me, and it doesn't overload at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-Distribution-Amplifier-Antenna/dp/B001PI09SE

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great product. My problem is the antenna is on the side of the house where the basement is completely finished. We moved into a house with a finished basement except where the furnace is. I need an outside solution.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Great product. My problem is the antenna is on the side of the house where the basement is completely finished. We moved into a house with a finished basement except where the furnace is. I need an outside solution.

I don't understand. Are you saying all the splitters are sealed in the walls and you have no access to any of them?

You could use a Clearsteam Juice preamp which is quite similar to a distribution amp in terms of gain and overload characteristics but you still need to inject the power onto the coax somewhere before the splitters.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Drop amps such as the CM 3414 and most others can be powered remotely, thus allowing them to be placed outdoors (preferably in an enclosure of some sort) and powered from within the house.

·
Registered
797 Posts
We have a bunch of satellite diplexers left in stock that work perfectly for this application. If you have a sat diplexer hanging around, use it.

IIRC, you can buy CM's inserter from them or from Amazon. They're not expensive at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
You didn't provide TVFool Results for your location, but I'm guessing that you MIGHT be located within a few miles of zipcode 49501 (downtown, near I-196 Exit 77C):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3df1f0cc8c50f97b
Note that there are three TV Stations within 5 miles of this downtown location....you should enter your exact location into TVFool and copy/paste the Results URL (webaddress at top of Browser) so we all can see it....you probably have TV signal Overload issues that need to be considered...

I also entered zipcode 49501 into www.FMFool.com to see where your FM Stations are located....only a FEW are in same direction as the Major TV Network stations....and the others are scattered in ALL Directions with half a dozen within a few miles, SURROUNDING downtown that can cause Interference problems into Hi-VHF Band. So I'm curious as to whether you use a Rotator or not. If you enter your exact location into FMFool, you will PROBABLY find that there are VERY NEARBY FM Stations that can generate Second Harmonic Interference into the Hi-VHF Band due to Overload....esp. if you are using a Preamp (you didn't say) or if you add a Distribution Amp (as recommended above). If you have Hi-VHF Band reception problems, you should add a (FULL) FM BAND REJECT FILTER from Antennas-Direct (NOT Radio Shack's, it doesn't attenuate lower end of FM Band very much):
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/FM_band_rejection_filter.html

I would recommend that you use a SEPARATE FM Antenna with a SEPARATE Coax downlead system (could be Stacked on same Rotator). This will 1) eliminate TV Splitter Loss from the FM network, 2) eliminate 7-8 dB FM Splitter Loss from the TV distribution network thereby eliminating the NEED for a Distro Amp, and 3) allow the use of a FULL BAND FM FILTER on the TV distribution network to minimize interference to Ch7, 8, 11 and 13.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I may just add another antenna for the FM. Holl_ands you are close. I am on the NE side, just out of town, higher up than downtown and have very good LOS for TV and FM. I do have a rotator as three TV stations are in different directions. I am trying to avoid cutting because the basement ceiling is completely finished running against the "grain" of the floor joists where the antenna comes into the building. The last owner decided to texture it, making it more of a PIA to repair. It would be easier to add another antenna and split each one 3 ways to ensure better radio signals.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Sounds good....I forgot #4 ) avoids Intermodultion AMONG FM Signals due to "Overload" in a new Distro Amp.

You would need to enter you location into FMFool to make sure....but I suspect that MAY put you even CLOSER to one or more FM Towers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problems are a thing of the past. I bought an 8 port amplifier signal splitter. There were already 3 coax I had previously run for TV and 4 leftover from when we ditched Satellite. I used the 3 pairs for the TVs (2), HomerunHD (1), tuners (3) and the lone 1 for power back to the amp. Used terminators on the 2 ports not in use then enclosed it in an outdoor cable utility box. Now I get all my channels without having to rotate the antenna and I am seeing way BETTER FM reception on the tuners. Also seeing HDRadio without having to rotate the antenna.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts