Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI:

Anyone know if all splitters pass IR or does it have to be a special splitter.

I have a Viewsonic 2-way splitter VSP2WS-P, but it does not appear to be passing IR. My 2100A is not lighting up when attached to the DA-550 amp.

I also have a Radio Shack 2-way splitter 15-2582, again not sure if it passes IR?

I also have read that the 550 does not need power when connected to the Channel plus 5545 modulators, but my displays get much better PQ when I have the power attatched directly to the 550.

Anyone using the 2100A with the DA-550 and CP modulators with a splitter/combiner? The combiner actually combines 2 modulators and then connects to the modulator input of the DA-550. (4 modulators total)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You need a power passing splitter, so if you have one for satellites it will work. You need to pull the ir from the cable prior to it arriving at the amp.

Alan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not quite.

The "IR passing" splitters of Channel Plus and Channel Vision have DC shorts from port to port, all isolated from ground. This is quite different from "normal" splitters. "Satellite" splitters have current steering diodes that will probably work (at least with the 12 volt IR system of the DA-550). But some of these splitters will steer current only to one output port. You are probably safer to use a splitter intended for this purpose.

Similarly the modulator B input of the DA-550 works the same. If you combine two modulators to this one input port, use an "IR passing" splitter. If possible, you should run a separate coax from each modulator to the two modulator input ports. (Note that you only get IR out of the B port.)

There is no need to pull the IR information off the coax prior to the amp (ala Xantech's Xtra-Link). The DA-550 takes care of all this.

And finally, If you see a picture quality difference when powering the DA-550 directly, something else is wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.