AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a 2100Mhz splitter on the coax from my 3 LNB eliptical dish that originally went directly into my DTC-100 in order to add a Directivo sitting right next to it on the same TV.

Both receivers now get all channels but the DTC-100 no longer can see the HD channels 199, 509, 543 (searching for satellite...)

It would appear this splitter is filtering the HD channel signals?

What kind of splitter or other device should I use at the TV end to solve this problem?

I really don't want to run a second coax down.

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
i dont have a solution but i know that the sat c gives off a certain signal or voltage so the receivers can distinguish between them so if u are trying to split the signal the splitter may be blocking that signal from coming through.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You can't split a single coax between two receivers. If it were that easy, why do they sell multi-switches. For a complete explaination, check out this FAQ . Number 6 is your problem.

Since you have a D*Tivo, you should run two more lines to it to take adavantage of the dual tuner.

-Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, you are correct, as I experiment, even with one receiver turned off the signal is inconsistent across other channels.

so I really need two more lines for the directivo + di-plexing the existing line to my DTC-100 so I can get the OTA HD channels off my antenna

thanks

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You absolutely can use splitters on DirecTV, so long as they are the correct splitters. This is a mess with the funky signal of the Sat B/C side, however, and begs the question: Why not a simple multiswitch?

I don't want to get into the can of worms on splitters, but they do have a place. You could, for example, split the signals from each satellite to feed two multiswitches simultaneously. Big messy installs do this often.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.