AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a simple 2 way splitter for component video, I have my projector running on VGA from my HTPC, and all the component sources switched on my reciever are fed into a H3D card. I would like to split the component input to the H3D to go straight to the pj so I would have the option to watch with the HTPC on or off. I have not had any luck finding a 2 way component splitter, has anyone got one or heard of where one can be purchased?

I had another thought. As the component video is 75 ohm, could I use 3 standard coax splitters, with RCA-Coax adapters on all terminals and use one for each color? Has anyone tried such a thing? Would I be facing serious signal degradation or does this sound like a sound idea? Here is the config I am looking for, but I dont need 4 way.
http://www.inday.com/Uses-HDDA/compo...da1_raster.htm

·
Registered
711 Posts
The passive splitting scheme would work, technically, but I don't think you'll like the result. The resulting image is likely to suffer from ringing and a reduced dynamic range. A distribution amp like you have pictured in the link, is your best bet. A good quality switch could also work if you don't mind doing the switching.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anybody know where I can find a good (cheap) 2 way distribution amp? $150 US is about a quarter-mil' CDN these days

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used passive splitting on my last setup (32" TV, interlaced DVD player and XBox) and it worked fine. When I moved up to my current setup (AE200 projector, progressive DVD player and XBox) I had problems.

I added a mechanical switch for about $20 and it works great.

--Burke

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren_G
I am looking for a simple 2 way splitter for component video, I have my projector running on VGA from my HTPC, and all the component sources switched on my reciever are fed into a H3D card. I would like to split the component input to the H3D to go straight to the pj so I would have the option to watch with the HTPC on or off. I have not had any luck finding a 2 way component splitter, has anyone got one or heard of where one can be purchased?

I had another thought. As the component video is 75 ohm, could I use 3 standard coax splitters, with RCA-Coax adapters on all terminals and use one for each color? Has anyone tried such a thing? Would I be facing serious signal degradation or does this sound like a sound idea? Here is the config I am looking for, but I dont need 4 way.
http://www.inday.com/Uses-HDDA/compo...da1_raster.htm
Why not look into the Zektor unit? It's passive design achieves the same result as the Inday. The advantage is that the owner is an AVSer who decided to build a good component switcher. I'm sure he'd answer your questions honestly. Do a search and I'm sure you can track him down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.