AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to split from the DVI connection to a couple of DVI compatible flat screens. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchart /forum/post/15475821

I would like to split from the DVI connection to a couple of DVI compatible flat screens. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks,

Bill

I'd use something like this. I see these are out of stock. Do you need sound to both also? DVI doesn't carry the sound. I would make sure the output resolution that you send works on both LCDs first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BVfan,

They are both hooked up now to the Dish receiver through composite or component cables and audio cables. All I know is there is a DVI connection on the back of the receiver besides the comp connections and both TVs have DVI inputs (not sure which type though until I get to the wifes shop and see) and one also has a HDMI input. This is such a pain to figure out, not being a electronics guy

Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
After you are sure both TVs work with the same DVI cable at the same resolution, you can start looking for a DVI splitter. You need a splitter, not a switcher. A switcher is probably less money, but all it does is switch between the TVs, not run a signal to both at once.

You will end up with a DVI cable from your receiver to the splitter and then two DVI cables out of the splitter to the individual TVs.

If you have long runs, this may get to be an issue with signal quality. I'm running a single 35 foot DVI cable, but that is my only experience.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can not use both TVs conccurently with a DVI Y splitter since DVI is a handshaking protocol. You would need a DVI distribution unit which is a lot more expensive then a splitter.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15484436

You can not use both TVs conccurently with a DVI Y splitter since DVI is a handshaking protocol. You would need a DVI distribution unit which is a lot more expensive then a splitter.

walford, won't the powered box that I had a link to work? I had a collegue that use a powered box splitter to split a source to two monitors.

So if he needs to handshake, you're saying he needs a unit like this.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3571

If ranchart has monitors and not tvs, wouldn't the monoprice box work or a cheaper powered DVI splitter that is not Dual-Link?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Yes either box will work. I had not checked your link since when the OP said splitter I assumed Y splitter and till just now when you referred back to your link I did not realize that you were linking to a Powered Spliter/distribution box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts