AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Antenna's Direct LacrosseA that I'd like to try and set up in the attic and run to two locations in the house. It has an amplifier inside the antenna and uses an inline power inserter to power the amp. Coax from the antenna goes in to the inserter, then another goes out to the TV. It has an adapter that plugs into the wall.

My question is, what is the best way to go about splitting the line from the antenna to two locations? If I split the line in the attic but then only have the power inserter plugged in at one end I don't think it will work. Do I have to run one line to one room, plug in the inserter there, then split it and run another to the second location?

Sorry, new to all this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You need to split it after you have passed the power insertion point --

antenna --- amp -----coax with power ---- inserter ---- splitter -- sets

If you split it in the section with the power in the line you are likely to either short it out or send 18 Volt into your TVs which could damage them (Also depends on if you have dc passing splitters or not).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Paul_PDX...that's the way I'm thinking I'll run it. However (and I almost hate to ask this), at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, why does it depend on if I have a dc passing splitter? That allows the DC current to run through the splitter, correct?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I shouldn't have mentioned the dc passing bit since it just confused things.

What I was thinking was that if you use a splitter that is dc passing in the upper area you can successfully split the signal up near the antenna --

antenna -- amp --- coax with power -- dc passing splitter -- coax w power - inserter --- set 1

However in this case you will be sending the power down to your set on the split path.

If you used a dc blocking splitter you would kill the amp and maybe short out the power supply.

If you split where I showed in my other post it doesn't matter which type of splitter you use and you won't have any power in the line worries.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Don't try to split the signal before the power inserter, unless you have a splitter that is designed to pass power thru one port. Satellite splitters are usually built this way. Running power through a regular splitter, if it works at all, can be a fire hazard. I've seen some get hot enough to scorch wood surfaces.

Also, be aware that some (few) preamps have a "split" system, where they have a distribution amp stage in the power supply housing. Then, you would have to fan out after the PS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.