AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, sorry if this has been discussed, but I tried to search and didn't have any luck

does the number of times Cat 6 cable is split affect the speed, or is it only if the devices are on and using data?

I currently use my router to split into 2 rooms, both rooms are then split into 3 or 4 devices

I have comcast, pay for 25mps, but usually only get between 6-8 at night

·
Registered
900 Posts
Instead of splitting cable, why don't use an Ethernet switch instead. Assuming that you are using a gigabit switch, each port is normally rated at 2 gbps for full duplex.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Unless you have really long cable runs and or deteriorating equipment or cables then no.

However, daisy chaining your network can have an adverse affect on speeds. Are you using switches, hubs or wireless? Are you using extenders, PowerLine or MoCA?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Instead of splitting cable, why don't use an Ethernet switch instead. Assuming that you are using a gigabit switch, each port is normally rated at 2 gbps for full duplex.
Unless you have really long cable runs and or deteriorating equipment or cables then no.

However, daisy chaining your network can have an adverse affect on speeds. Are you using switches, hubs or wireless? Are you using extenders, PowerLine or MoCA?
Sorry, I didn't explain correctly

I have the cable going into my modem, 1 ethernet cable runing into my wireless router, 2 ethernet cables running out of my wireless router into 2 rooms. In each room I am using a gigabit switch to connected to my roku/PS3/Tivo etc......

·
Registered
812 Posts
Unless you have a bad cable or port somewhere, there's nothing in your setup that should degrade your signal to those levels.

You'll be limited by the slowest device in your system, so if your router's ports are 10/100 then you won't get anything more than 100Mbps on devices that aren't connected on the same switch. If the router is Gigabit, then everything should be running at Gigabit speeds.

When you run a SpeedTest connected directly to the modem via Cat5, what is your speed? When you put the same PC behind the router, what is your speed? Repeat on down the line.

Personally, I would first run a 500MB LAN Speed Test (http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html) between 2 PCs, 1 at each switch. That will test your whole network short of the modem. If you are getting 650+ Mbps when you run that test then your network is fine and the issue is with the internet connection.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The number of switches in the network should not dramatically reduce the speed. Try connecting a PC directly to the main modem and run speed test there.

Also, which modem do you have? Is the modem DOCSIS 3?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with trying speedtest via a PC/laptop directly connected to your main router, or even your cable modem. If it is still slow, call Comcast.

I used to get significantly reduced speeds due to congestion at night until my local Comcast utility did some infrastructure upgrades. It's better now, but can still be a moderate issue.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I used to be with Comcast until 3 years ago when I switched to FIOS. I was never able to get their advertised speed during peak hours. Testing directly from your modem will tell you whether it is a Comcast problem or your in-home network problem.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with trying speedtest via a PC/laptop directly connected to your main router, or even your cable modem. If it is still slow, call Comcast.

I used to get significantly reduced speeds due to congestion at night until my local Comcast utility did some infrastructure upgrades. It's better now, but can still be a moderate issue.
As long as your switches are actually switches, not hubs, and they are Gigabit then your network should be running at Gigabit speeds. Run the LAN Speed Test and see how fast data is moving between 2 PCs, one at each switch.

When that comes up good, just like every one else said, plug a PC directly into the modem and skip the router. Then run SpeedTest.net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts