AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 7.2 speaker configuration already setup in my home theater and I am really enjoying it. I purchased (2) Energy Take Classic 5.1 systems to make that happen. As a result I have an extra center channel and 2 extra surrounds that I am not doing anything with at the moment. I probably don't have any use for the extraneous center channel but rather than sell the 2 extra surrounds, I would love to use them as sound reinforcement in my 25' x 12' room. The room has two unused surround jacks on both sides in front of where the current side surrounds are placed.

I could just "do it" but I thought I would check in with more brilliant minds and see if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of. My plan was just to wire them in parallel so that the two left surrounds positives go into the positive left surround of the amp and the two left surrounds negatives into the amps left surround negative post. That is parallel wiring is it not? Of course I would repeat the process for the two sets of surrounds on the right side as well. In case it helps, here is the equipment that I am running:

Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2 Channel A/V Receiver 110 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC) 125 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7% (FTC) (Others) 7 ch × 170 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven of 1% (IEC)

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (x2) It says the impedance for the speakers is 8 ohms on the product specs from Amazon.

Now to be honest, I don't really understand impedance nor how parallel wiring 2 sets of speakers to 1 output on the amp could harm anything besides cutting the power to each speaker by half. I figure if I just do it I can re-adjust the sound levels and I will have a more full surround sound going on, but I am humble enough to know that there is so much I don't know and so I appeal to those of you with more understanding to help me figure out if this is in anyway a bad idea or if there are any special considerations that I should take into account before engaging in such an endeavor. What are your thoughts if any?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew  /t/1525239/splitting-surround-speakers-what-are-the-pitfalls-if-any#post_24553927

Wire them in parallel for 4 ohm load, series for 16 ohm. Your receiver might not like seeing a 4 ohm load but it's probably got robust protection circuitry. If the amp is unhappy it will shut down.
So parallel could damage my receiver but series has no repercussions? I definitely don't want to hurt the amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1525239/splitting-surround-speakers-what-are-the-pitfalls-if-any#post_24553939

I believe if you want to have two side surrounds you'll have to add a delay to the 2nd speaker. You can try it out and see if you like it but a delay is needed if you want to do this properly.
How would I go about adding a delay exactly?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts