AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound like a bit of a dichotomy, but I'm torn between these two models. I buy primarily on bang-for-the-buck, so on those grounds, I see these sets as being relatively similar.

Here's how it breaks down for me:

Pioneer KRP-500M

Pro's:
  • uncompromising performance
  • lengthened upgrade cycle
  • minimal processing would pair well with my Media Center setup
  • 72Hz-capable
  • last chance (maybe?) at a new Pioneer

Con's
  • the "don't touch" factor (this is a big one for me...I don't want to be afraid of using the TV or letting the girlfriend mess with it because its such a precious piece of gear)
  • No stand (this is a minor point as I will probably wall mount and some retailers are offering a mount or stand for free)
  • ????

Panasonic P50X1

Pro's
  • at half the price or less of the Pioneer, minimal "don't touch" factor
  • good enough performance
  • break-in process and calibration settings freely available

Con's
  • potentially, I would be "back at the trough" to buy the next hot value TV in 2-3 years
  • superfluous processing/scaling
  • 1366x768 is a weird resolution to scale to
  • locked at 60Hz

My viewing is roughly:

15% [digital] SDTV

35% HDTV

25% movies

25% games

I have a DLP front projector for what I deem the highest priority viewing, so maybe a high-end "daily driver" TV isn't needed. Then again, the 500M is almost champagne on a beer budget territory.

Please advise. I've got compelling arguments for either one and even the middle of the road options. I always find that I can be happy with a relatively wide range of quality levels as long as the price/performance ratio is high. What would you do if price mattered less than bang for the buck?

·
Registered
326 Posts
85% for HD or near HD content says you should maybe go for the 500M. If you get a great upscaling DVD player like an Oppo or Pioneer that will look as great as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No contest, 500M. The X1 isn't that great of a TV. If you want to even get close to a comparison to the 500 you need to look at the V10/Z1 or Sammy 860, but even those don't compare to the Kuro.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was definitely leaning towards the 500M. I think I've got a good grasp of the significant divide in performance here. I don't expect the X1 to compare to the 500M.

Then I starting thinking about how this is going to be the primary TV in the house and my girlfriend is going to come home and watch Oprah and similar dreck on it day after day. People are going to play Wii bowling without the wrist strap (not with me in the room, if they value their lives). Video games will be played with a static HUD on the screen for hours at a time, no doubt.

I don't doubt the quality of the product or that I'd be happy with it, but not living in a vacuum kills some of the arguments for the high end.

Am I just being paranoid? BTW, an extended warranty is a foregone conclusion.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah /forum/post/16977341

I was definitely leaning towards the 500M. I think I've got a good grasp of the significant divide in performance here. I don't expect the X1 to compare to the 500M.

Then I starting thinking about how this is going to be the primary TV in the house and my girlfriend is going to come home and watch Oprah and similar dreck on it day after day. People are going to play Wii bowling without the wrist strap (not with me in the room, if they value their lives). Video games will be played with a static HUD on the screen for hours at a time, no doubt.

I don't doubt the quality of the product or that I'd be happy with it, but not living in a vacuum kills some lot of the arguments for the high end.

Am I just being paranoid? BTW, an extended warranty is a foregone conclusion.

In that case get both and make the 500 your personal set and the Panny the sacrificial lamb.
j/k

·
Registered
362 Posts
Get the pioneer. Last chance to own the last best plasma. What can Oprah do to the set? she's HD now so, Nothing. As for Wii, get one of those plastic screen protectors for when the gaming gets raucous. 2 years from now you will look at it and smile knowing you got the last of a breed...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I vote the 500M, but that's just because I think they're tops for picture quality. You'll lose the upgrade urge with the 500M, or at least delay it longer.

Are you going to be using a sound system with the TV? You don't get a tuner or speakers with the 500M, so that would be two knocks against it.

You can run the orbiter an do the break-in to lower the chance of image retention/burn-in from other people using it....

And a glass shield in front to protect it from flying Wii-motes

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer /forum/post/16977373

In that case get both and make the 500 your personal set and the Panny the sacrificial lamb.
j/k

Hah...love it. Actually, prior to seeing the great 500M deals, I was considering roughly that. I just bought a new house that finally gives me a personal office/video game den and damn near ended up buying a 40" LCD (blasphemy, I know, but it would've shared duties as a computer monitor) for that space.

Here's another detail I should add: I have a "split/dual" system or whatever you might call it with an Infocus SP-7210 DLP projector and (currently) a Sony KV-30HS420 30" CRT in the same room, utilizing the same sources and audio setup. The CRT is on a cart with casters and I simply roll it out of the way when I fire up the projector. Once I replace the CRT with a plasma, I would wall mount the plasma and have the screen come down in front of it.

Anyway, for the price of the 500M, I could get a P50X1 and upgrade my projector (in net terms after selling the existing projector). Truth be told, I'm not really itching to upgrade the projector (I heart the Infocus), but that's just another way to look at it.

I should also mention that I don't currently have blu-ray. Movies are my priority content, but I've been relying on mostly 720p MKVs in place of blu-ray. Part of me wonders whether that will be the limiting factor instead of the display itself.

BTW, what's this glass/plastic shield business? Is that a product people go out and buy or just an improvised sheet of plexiglass?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Just go look and compare, and free the opinions from hype or expectations based on name.

If your visual experience confirms the all that kuro factor, go for it. If the panny performs then save yourself some money.

Keep in mind that technology marches on and regardless of brand, there is a great likelyhood there will be better monitors available in the future.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get the x1, put what you saved in a saving account, than buy something better than what the pioneer would be 2 years down the road after you sell your x1 on craigslist.

Thats only if you are happy with the x1 though. If it won't satisfy you just get the pioneer now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Get the X1 and avoid drowning in the hype. Both will look amazingly good in your living room, the only time you'd notice the difference is if they were side by side. The X1 obviously has much more bang for the buck.

I spent $1400 on a higher end Samsung a few months ago and keep help wondering why I wouldn't have been happy spending $500+ less on the equivalent 720p set.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16979087

the B450 has a better pic than the X1, so if you're going to go the cheap route, at least get the Sammy with the better PQ.

My unsolicted and non-professional opinion supports your claim. From what I've seen, the X1's picture is garbage. I had to make an executive decision between the two today, actually, and I went with the Sammy. The only plausible explanation I'll entertain is that Panasonic is deliberately cramping their 720p sets this generation to push their higher-end models.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ster /forum/post/16978853

500M

If you have concerns, mark a "so far and no further zone" arround the KRP-500M.

Hah...I'm afraid it would start on a different floor and a periscope may negate the better image quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964us /forum/post/16978927

500M and ditch the girlfriend and the Wii!

Edit: actually, post a pic. I just ordered the 500M and I have a Wii but a decent looking girlfriend would be a bonus

Futher edit: Wife said no!

I like your reasoning, there.
It would be easier, some days.

Since I don't expect most people will have cross shopped these models, does anybody have experience with both the X1 and a higher-end 1080p model?

On the B450, I think you guys would be correct on the straight out of the box experience. The B450's color is certainly more accurate, but I believe D-Nice's calibrated settings largely bring the X1 up to par in this respect. The X1 undoubtedly has better contrast, black level, and black detail, from everything I've read and seen myself.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I have the X1 and a pro calibrated 50A650, and the X1 holds it's own nicely. I set them side by side after I applied D-nice's settings to tweak the X1 a bit and only if I looked very closely could I see a difference in detail, and only at close range. After a few nudges here and there the gray scale was almost the same and the colors were close too, not bad for a set that cost 1/3 of the Sammy.

You'll have to decide, but I think it might bug me for some time if I could have had a 500m and passed on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts