AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of us here I frequent various AV Forums (among other interests).

Among them: The Home Theater Forum, The Home Theater Spot, Sound And Vision Forums, usenet forums, etc. So I'm not just an AVSforum guy.

But I'd have to say: Nothing is quite like AVSforum in general, and this Flat Panel Display forum in specific, in terms of the amount of traffic, quick feedback and, for me, number of interesting topics that are discussed.

On the Sound And Vision forums people ask for advice, you give 'em everything you've got to help them out, and all too often you never hear from the OP again. You don't know if they've even read the info you've posted, let alone dropping an acknowledgment.

The Home Theater Spot's Plasma Forum (until recently "The Emerging Technologies's Forum), is hilariously uninhabited. Any thread I've engaged in there has had to extend over months, just to accumulate any number of replies. No doubt people come here instead. (Although it is great The Spot has such a forum).

The Home Theater Forum can be terrific for sure. Their Receivers/Separates/Amps forum is heavily trafficked and full of excellent dialog about the subject (which helped me buy my own receiver). But unlike here, over on that forum's Display Devices section I can't seem to get any discussion going on anything other than "What model do you advise I buy?" stuff. (You guy's know how I like to ruminate about picture quality in general...no takers there).

Every forum has it's good points, and more active forums. But overall I do find the number, quality and speed of responses on this forum has spoiled my expectations for other forums.

What are other people's experience with the various forums they visit?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Hey Rich,

Have to agree. I have come to really enjoy this forum! I too frequent the others, but as you said when it comes to displays - this is it!

I tend to use the various forums for different things - Spot for DVD info (more than is usually here) as well as power and remote as they seem to be more active on those topics.

I like other fourms for the audio, alhtough this one is okay.

But HD, display etc are great here at AVS with the Plasma and Rear forums offering up so many intersting topics.

So agree!!!!

Great Forum and am spoiled - want an IMMEDIATE reponse:)!

Therese

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wpwj40e

Great Forum and am spoiled - want an IMMEDIATE reponse:)!

Therese
I can hear you.

I would say that this forum is too good. In other words, I spend too much time here. :D

Andrzej

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
Like many of us here I frequent various AV Forums (among other interests).

Among them: The Home Theater Forum, The Home Theater Spot, Sound And Vision Forums, usenet forums, etc. So I'm not just an AVSforum guy.

But I'd have to say: Nothing is quite like AVSforum in general, and this Flat Panel Display forum in specific, in terms of the amount of traffic, quick feedback and, for me, number of interesting topics that are discussed.

On the Sound And Vision forums people ask for advice, you give 'em everything you've got to help them out, and all too often you never hear from the OP again. You don't know if they've even read the info you've posted, let alone dropping an acknowledgment.

The Home Theater Spot's Plasma Forum (until recently "The Emerging Technologies's Forum), is hilariously uninhabited. Any thread I've engaged in there has had to extend over months, just to accumulate any number of replies. No doubt people come here instead. (Although it is great The Spot has such a forum).

The Home Theater Forum can be terrific for sure. Their Receivers/Separates/Amps forum is heavily trafficked and full of excellent dialog about the subject (which helped me buy my own receiver). But unlike here, over on that forum's Display Devices section I can't seem to get any discussion going on anything other than "What model do you advise I buy?" stuff. (You guy's know how I like to ruminate about picture quality in general...no takers there).

Every forum has it's good points, and more active forums. But overall I do find the number, quality and speed of responses on this forum has spoiled my expectations for other forums.

What are other people's experience with the various forums they visit?
Oh no, oh great one with the ivory eye. It is I who has been and continues to be spoiled by the provocative and educating banter that I have experienced here.....and your very own "Steaming Rat"......ummmmm, ummmmm, good.

Quick responses are good and appreciated, however, quick and accurate responses are even better and should never be ignored. N'est pas?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Rich,

I visit most of those forums daily and have seen many of your posts on them. I agree with your observations. I prsonall rank the AVS Forum tops, Home Theater Forum second , and Home Theater Spot last.

I think that part of the problem over at the Spot is that unless you are a paying subscriber, you are restricted from some of the most interesting areas. This dicourages many people from participating and contributing. I'm not knocking the owner's for charging, I understand the business aspect of it, but there are several terrific forums that are free.

I really prefer the segmentation of the various HT topics into specific forums here as apposed to the more general groupings over at the Home Theater Forum.

-Steve

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nothing comopares to this forum.

Case in point: This morning I post about needing a temporary desktop stand for my 6UY. I get a several responses, suggestions, pictures, diagrams and Brucer digs up a 2 years old thread he started with more good suggestions. All in a few hours, simply amazing. This kind of thing doesn't happen anywhere else, not even close.

·
Registered
692 Posts
JSchulte: I was suprised and pleasantly impressed to see a fellow member offer to let you borrow their Akai "feet" until you get your own stand.

Good forum and good members.

·
Registered
860 Posts
AVS if better for the display technologies and HD stuff. HTF is better for the audio stuff (receivers/amps & speakers). Since I have my audio taken care of for a while, right now I'm more interested in the display stuff, so I hang out here now almost exclusively.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Not to make heads swell too large, but...

I do think there is something "special" about the Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays Forum. A certain willingness to help, tolerance for difference in views, and overall I just find the quality of the communications a big head and shoulders above others.

I think what we have here are some really nice and very intelligent folks, dedicated to their passion and who generally check their ego's at the door.

Nice, very nice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I started visiting here over three years ago and knew absolutely nothing about plasma screens and high-definition in general except that I wanted it. After about two months of learning, I wound up buying a Panasonic plasma (third generation, the one without a fan), and I still think it was one of best purchases of my entire life. Even though it's not technically an HD screen (it's ED, really--852x480), it has one of the finest images I've ever seen.

I have no idea what I would have done without the education gained in this forum.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
I first learned of AVS forum when I had the infamous Sony HD100 half hour dropout problem: I got my answers in the HDTV hardware forum immediately

when I posted in this ( plasma ) forum that I needed Pioneer input 5 IR remote codes, I will never forget a member ( thanks Gaber) came to my house on Thanksgiving Day with his remote

this is truly a special place

·
Registered
255 Posts
great story.

john

Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
I first learned of AVS forum when I had the infamous Sony HD100 half hour dropout problem: I got my answers in the HDTV hardware forum immediately

when I posted in this ( plasma ) forum that I needed Pioneer input 5 IR remote codes, I will never forget a member ( thanks Gaber) came to my house on Thanksgiving Day with his remote

this is truly a special place

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
I agree with all of you. There is a lot of good talent and intellectual people on this Forum. I wouldn't know what to do with myself without it.

Again I thank all of you for what you have given me in the knowledge alone. I just hope that I have given something back in return.

God Bless!!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There are other forums?;)

I started lurking last year, and started considering a plasma around Xmas. I bought a 433CMX, based mostly on what I read here. (Saw the 4030HD at Tweeter. It was cool, but not mind blowing.) Got the 433CMX anyway, from PlasmaExtreme, again based on advice here. Couldn't be happier. [Knew to expect the 'green screen' via component without even asking. :D]

Got a Samsung TS-160 HD receiver, based on what I read in the 2000-post thread in the HDTV Hardware thread. Couldn't be happier.

Knew what HD stations were available OTA from the Local Programming thread. Put a small antenna in my attic - I get everything I want! Couldn't be happier.

Knew what DVD releases were good and what to avoid via the DVD forum. [OK, that one takes some interpretation since everyone has different tastes.]

Researched DVRs and got a ReplayTV 4504 based on what I read in the DVR forum.

Four out of five ain't bad.:p [Actually, I've been pretty happy with the Replay even if they did go bankrupt.]

On Sunday, will be watching the Lions via Sunday Ticket, and the Patriots via OTA HD. Will let you know Sunday night if I could be happier.;)

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like everyone else I used this forum to help me during my year-long, torturous search for just-the-right-plasma. I figured I'd have no need for it once I bought the thing. That was over a year ago. What the heck am I still doing here? I dunno.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi guys, I am a long time lurker here in the plasma forum. I hit the forums mainly at work - I generally post on HTF. Rich, I saw your post on HTF about the Fuji plasma and then I stumbled across your post here (DaveGTP on HTF). The problem with HTF display forum is that everyone seems to have this RPTV is the shizzit attitude. Washing out at angles, mandatory low light, etc ruled out RPTV for me long ago.

A lot of misconception abounds about the new technologies (LCD and Plasma). I treat you guys' forum as the authoritative plasma information source, and point everyone here that asks about plasma on other forums (a couple of anime forums, HTF) here (especially to the FAQ). As a gamer, washout is not acceptable for multiplayer gathering 'round the TV. Gaming, DVDs (film and anime) made me settle on the Panny ED 42" Plasma about 1 year ago - mainly because of here on AVSforum. I will have my 42" ED plasma someday, when I'm less poor. You guys are always nice reading, very little flames burning my eyes, and when they are, they are not too hot :)

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
Like everyone else I used this forum to help me during my year-long, torturous search for just-the-right-plasma. I figured I'd have no need for it once I bought the thing. That was over a year ago. What the heck am I still doing here? I dunno.
Same thing here !!! :D :D :D

Now I feel like it's my obligation to help others.

Can't stay away from this forum.

I need help!!! http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies...xyxnervous.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.