AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we decided whether Sports look better in 720p, or 1080i in "the real world" ??

My limited experience has been I see much less artifacting with 720p during fast motion, and it still looks fantastic on static shots.

Thoughts ??

-- Cain

·
Registered
451 Posts
I watch ESPNHD, CBSHD, and HDNet on my pioneer 530hdi through an HTL-HD on native mode. My tv converts the 720p to 1080i. ESPNHD looks softer than CBS and HDNet. I don't know if it's because of the conversion, the lower resolution of 720p, or the actual production of the event, but that's been my experience.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a native 720p set, and on it 720p looks better than 1080i for sports, because of artifacting and motion issues on things like passed basketballs and quick running backs. Golly, people in the HD community differ on this issue? Shocked, just shocked. Who knew? OK, everybody stop now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wholeheartedly :)

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain

Have we decided whether Sports look better in 720p, or 1080i in "the real world" ??

My limited experience has been I see much less artifacting with 720p during fast motion, and it still looks fantastic on static shots.

Thoughts ??
One of the factors is your local DTV station.

Do they use the full bandwidth for HD only?

Or does HD suffer somewhat because they multicast?

What is the quality level of their MPEG-2 encoding?

Different stations have different bandwidth allocations and different MPEG-2 encoding. So someone in one part of the country may be receiving a higher-quality HD signal than someone else in another part of the country, even when they are watching the same network broadcast. Many people overlook this issue when they compare broadcasts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
These questions get tiresome. All other things being equal, if your TV outputs native 1080i, 1080i will look better. If your TV outputs native 720p, then 720p will look better. Cain, i highly doubt your TV can do both resolutions native, so you couldnt make the comparison with just your TV set even if you wanted to.

Azanon

·
Registered
518 Posts
MY set is native 720P DLP. I find it hard to differentiate between 1080i and 720 in terms of quality.

The only thing that matters is what looks best to YOU. Pick that one and be happy...or continue your quest to get an answer to the unanswerable.

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
My set can display both 1080i and 720p natively. I've come to prefer 720p.

That said, I think there are so many factors that come into any one single broadcast, it's really hard to quantify what makes one better.

Some 1080i broadcasts are better than 720p, and vice-versa.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Azanon
Oh really? Which set would that be.
The last set I saw, commercial set, that did that was a CRT Panny that ceased production a few years back.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm curious because admittingly someone new in this hobby, i havent seen a set, yet, that had two native HD resolutions. Usually its 1080i for Direct tube types, cheap plasmas are sometimes 480P (EDTV), and the nicer plasmas/LCDs are usually 768p or 720p or similar.

So a set that can do 1080i and 720p without any conversion would be news to me.

Azanon

·
Registered
564 Posts
My living room in 720p and my Bedroom is 1080i. 1080i on a 1080i looks great and 720p on 720p looks great. 1080i on 720p set looks spotty (well, digital) and 720p on 1080i looks soft. 480p on a 720p looks better than 480p on 1080i.

There.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Did I mention that Fox's 480p Widescreen is just as good as HDTV? Everyone here agrees.
Sorry but when I was watching the games this past weekend, Fox's sucked major A$$ compared to the 1080i CBS feed on my 1080i native set.

Not even close to as much detail in it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tonedeaf, I believe that was sarcasm (granted, he should have put a smiley).

Both 720p & 1080i look really great for football (to me). I don't watch a lot of baskeball, and have never seen it in 720p, but it has looked pretty badly pixellated the few times I caught it on CBS. That didn't look like interlace artifacts, though. Not sure if ABC would be any better.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by CycloneGT

Did I mention that Fox's 480p Widescreen is just as good as HDTV? Everyone here agrees.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but when I was watching the games this past weekend, Fox's sucked major A$$ compared to the 1080i CBS feed on my 1080i native set.

Not even close to as much detail in it.

CycloneGT was kidding.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.