AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
The target is April.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There isn't going to be much use in this though, 99.9% of the sports broadcast they show highlights of will still be in SD and ESPN's "Screening" room isn't fully set up for HD even if they were.

All you're going to get is a lousy stretched SD program with a few HD shots every now and then.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpalmer2k
There isn't going to be much use in this though..
Try again.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Quote:
There isn't going to be much use in this though, 99.9% of the sports broadcast they show highlights of will still be in SD and ESPN's "Screening" room isn't fully set up for HD even if they were.
That's why they're also building a new multi-million dollar tapeless screening area which will be able to record both HD and SD feeds - and send the video instantly to any edit room in the new building.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
That's why they're also building a new multi-million dollar tapeless screening area which will be able to record both HD and SD feeds - and send the video instantly to any edit room in the new building.
I still don't see how they're gonna have that much HD content to show during SportsCenter. Highlights from 95% of their games are gonna be from regional sports folks who don't do HD. There are a handful of games that they might be able to get real HD highlights from, but not many. The interviews and special features will probably be pretty cool, though.

Lee

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leewcraft
I still don't see how they're gonna have that much HD content to show during SportsCenter. Highlights from 95% of their games are gonna be from regional sports folks who don't do HD. There are a handful of games that they might be able to get real HD highlights from, but not many. The interviews and special features will probably be pretty cool, though.

Lee
So what do you want them to do, just not do it? Seriously, you have to start somewhere. Otherwise ESPN-HD itself wouldn't even be up yet. I'll take as much HD as I can get, even if it has to continue to build.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i'm not so sure. i imagine espn would go out of their way to get the hd versions of everything that existed in hd. that means virtually all football next year, some basketball, anything shown on hdnet or inhd (including baseball, hockey, and college ball), virtually any major sporting event on espn, and of course their own productions. that'd have at least some of the stuff in hd, perhaps even a good chunk of it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
So what do you want them to do, just not do it? Seriously, you have to start somewhere. Otherwise ESPN-HD itself wouldn't even be up yet. I'll take as much HD as I can get, even if it has to continue to build.
How about they start by actually giving us more HD sports events instead of their stretched SD upconverts.

You may be right on some points, during football it might look OK with highlights from CBS's 1 College game of the week, and they will have some NFL HD games to work with.

But how many NCAA basketball games have we seen in HD (aside from the few ESPN has done) this year? Can I hear Zero. Sure HDNet does theirs but ESPN hasn't shown a highlight of one of those (even framed) yet. They show more basketball highlights than anything, and very little of that is available in HD

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I think what the big deal is about this new studio/building, is that right now, ESPN only shows HD on live events. The new facilities will allow them to handle HD material the same way they can currently handle SD material. Record, repeat later, store, etc...

So it means more than just HD highlights on Sports Center.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
How about they start by actually giving us more HD sports events instead of their stretched SD upconverts.

It's already been shown in other threads that ESPN is doing exactly that. There are 9 more HD broadcasts in January, 3 of them on consecutive games.

February - 16 broadcasts, a couple of days there will actually be two on the same day

March - 27. Granted most of them are Big East tourny games, but that's still 27.

Quote:
You may be right on some points, during football it might look OK with highlights from CBS's 1 College game of the week, and they will have some NFL HD games to work with.

But how many NCAA basketball games have we seen in HD (aside from the few ESPN has done) this year? Can I hear Zero. Sure HDNet does theirs but ESPN hasn't shown a highlight of one of those (even framed) yet. They show more basketball highlights than anything, and very little of that is available in HD
That's not ESPN's fault. Just because local stations aren't doing HD doesn't mean somehow that's ESPN's responsibility. And remember we're in the spring, there's going to be much more Baseballin HD across the country thanks to places like Comcast Sportsnet, Fox Sports, and stations like WGN that will provide many Baseball highlights. So that will be something to look for this year in highlights as well.

Plus, the NCAA tourny will likely again be in HD, so you'll have those highlights too.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I'll applaud when I see the finish product .............Not before;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whatever ESPN can broadcast in HD is 100% more than what they had a year ago. It seems funny to me people bash ESPN for not having enough HD. Howabout the fact they even launched a part time HD channel?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Any chance they can have a few local workers for the area of the sport with an HD camera catch a few clips of some of the games?

Similar to how NFL network sends out single cameras to talk to single players on NFL Total Access?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis

It's already been shown in other threads that ESPN is doing exactly that. There are 9 more HD broadcasts in January, 3 of them on consecutive games.
You're right, ESPN is doing more HD than they've been doing, but wouldn't it make more sense to spend the money for the multi-million dollar facility on some more HD production gear until they start getting more HD highlights from other sources?

As a side point, when they start doing SC in HD, I really hope they don't switch to their goofy stretch when they show SD highlights just to make it fill the screen. I don't know if I'd even be able to watch it if that were the case.

Lee

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
FoxSports is already HD in select markets (I believe) and Fox Network will go HD in the fall which only leaves NBC Sports to fill in the equation. Once this happens, virtually all live major sports can be seen in HD! I am so glad ESPN has made this committment and if anyone needs bashing, it is NBC Sports.

What about HDNets Sports? I sure would love to see this channel as well.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Don't forget all of the regional baseball stations and cable networks doing HD baseball this summer. WGN, NESN, ComcastSportsNet (balt and philly), YES(?), Rogers, WPIX, plus ESPN's own HD productions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.