AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have one of the original sportster replays (before the 3?), I think. I DO have the 44 minute buffer, but it's the larger, rounded top sportster.

Anyway, I noticed the visual differences between the 3, 4 and 5 but is there anything else? I might want to upgrade and can't find any sites showing differences up to the 5.

Or heck, should I just get a Stilletto? I listen to Sirius on my phone so I don't really need the mobile aspect of it. Just might look better in my car (brand new '08 Acura TL Type-S).

Edit: Just noticed I misspelled "Replay" in the title. I'm a tool.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They are all basically the same radio, so I'd stick with your sportster replay.

Don't get the Sportster3.

The Sportster 4 and 5 have universal docking which is nice, but this will also force you to throw away all of your current docks, boomboxes, etc.. and replace them too.

The Sportster 5 has some pretty colors and a couple of new options, but still is probably 95% the same radio that you have.

The portable Stilettos are great, they have satellite and wifi listening, and recording for future listening. If you have no plans to use these features, then why pay for these, they are expensive.

Another thought, if you are lucky enough to have a Sportster replay that has a working FM transmitter, and you use it, then don't upgrade because new transmitters only broadcast a couple of feet, or less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Basically, I left my entire car kit in my traded in car because Best Buy seems to now charge for uninstalling satellite stuff and only head units have free uninstall with proof of Best Buy install. So I figured if I have to buy a new car kit anyway, might as well get a new radio (car kit about $50, current sportster 5 deal for $89 online).

It DOES sound great to record Stern to listen later. I know it's repeated through the day, but I don't always pick up where I left off...the Stiletto sounds kinda tasty.

I DO use the FM transmitter...that is all different now? A few feet is all I need in my car, no? Don't they have that FM Extender thing that uses your car AND the Sportster antennae together for stronger signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSteeler /forum/post/12991859

They are all basically the same radio, so I'd stick with your sportster replay.

Don't get the Sportster3.

The Sportster 4 and 5 have universal docking which is nice, but this will also force you to throw away all of your current docks, boomboxes, etc.. and replace them too.

The Sportster 5 has some pretty colors and a couple of new options, but still is probably 95% the same radio that you have.

The portable Stilettos are great, they have satellite and wifi listening, and recording for future listening. If you have no plans to use these features, then why pay for these, they are expensive.

Another thought, if you are lucky enough to have a Sportster replay that has a working FM transmitter, and you use it, then don't upgrade because new transmitters only broadcast a couple of feet, or less.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your results will vary, but MOST are extremely UNHAPPY with the newer FCC regulated FM transmitters.

It doesn't take much to interfere with the low power tranmitters, even high voltage power lines could cause static at every intersection. The FM extender might help a little bit if you live in a small town with lots of open fairly noise-free FM channels. Really you should Wire the FM Modulator switch behind your radio and NOT use the transmitter.

The recording on the stiletto is very nice. I would love to have one, but I am going to drive my sportster replay until it dies before investing any more $$, plus with the whole merger, I'd probably wait for the dual-mode radios.

If I were you, I'd go to siriusbackstage.com, go to the Xchange forum, ask for a car kit for your current radio, offer $20, and i bet you find a seller fast.

Or buy a new radio, that might not be the best financial decision, but certainly the most fun.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Just one clarification to my brother in arms, CLUBSTEELER, and to the OP:

The Stiletto 100(100 hours of recording) and the new Stiletto 2(same as 100, and other features) offer WIFI transmitting(listen via wireless internet), but the Stiletto 10 DOES NOT.

Just thought I should point that out.

If you want to record ALOT of Stern, then I would go for the Stiletto 100. You will have alot of time in which to record. And I recommend this one because places will try to sell them real cheap in the future to get rid of inventory because of the new Stiletto 2.

The Stiletto 10 can be found, but it is MUCH harder to locate(in the Big box stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...) because most of that inventory is gone.

You may get lucky, like I did, and find one that was returned , and get it for like $110 or less(this is just for the unit, and not the home or car docks, which would cost $50 additional for each).

It only records for 10 hours, which is not alot, but you can use it as a portable with the earphones for satellite reception(remember, no WIFI on this one), and to listen back to recorded content.

Mine has 10, and I wish I had gotten the 100. But not at the price they wanted at the time.

When you get 10 hours, you will find out you want 100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts