AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in mid-January, it was announced that SportsTime Ohio and WKYC are going to be stepping up the Indians' HD coverage this year.

FOX has eight games for its Saturday telecasts, which will likely be in HD. One game is not slated for TV coverage at all.

The rest? All in HD on STO/WKYC.

Now, three things come to mind on this...

1. If STO is stepping up the HD, what I'd love to see is if they can get the OHSAA state tournament games in HD as well. I wouldn't think getting HD cameras into Value City Arena would be hard. Also, I'm pretty sure the NFL Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium was in HD on NBC, and if that's the case, then STO can do three of the state football finals in HD (at the same site) and they can probably figure out a setup for the other three state finals at Massillon.

2. If WKYC is going HD all the way, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, WWHO-HD can show the Indians in HD, too, when it simulcasts the WKYC feed in the Columbus area.

3. Why can't STO show its other programming in HD? I like to watch that channel a lot, and certainly their studios have HD cameras, so why not just show it all in HD? Plus, when they replay Indians games in the middle of the night, I can see them in HD and not in SD.

Just some thoughts. But I do enjoy what STO is doing in just over two years of existence. They're building from the ground up right, and I'm anxious to see what else they'll do.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Do you have a link or press release from STO about all HD coverage for 08?

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1999y2j /forum/post/12997226

1. If STO is stepping up the HD, what I'd love to see is if they can get the OHSAA state tournament games in HD as well. I wouldn't think getting HD cameras into Value City Arena would be hard. Also, I'm pretty sure the NFL Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium was in HD on NBC, and if that's the case, then STO can do three of the state football finals in HD (at the same site) and they can probably figure out a setup for the other three state finals at Massillon.

Having those high school games in HD would mean renting HD mobile units for all those sites and paying for the transmission costs of getting that signal back to the STO studios. For high school sports that most likely would not be cost effective. These costs only exist for the Indians games that are away as, STO does not use a mobile unit to produce the home games.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 /forum/post/12997993

Do you have a link or press release from STO about all HD coverage for 08?

Not hard to find. Started with wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsTime_Ohio .

Which led to the press release:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=cle

153 Cleveland Indian regular season games and 8 spring training games in HD! People in the Cleveland market should be happy about that. Meanwhile this news only depresses those of us in the Washington DC - Baltimore greater market who are wondering if we will see any Nats or Orioles games in HD at all in 2008 on Mid Atlantic Sports Net (MASN) in the oppressed fiefdom of Peter Angelos.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I very much enjoyed the Brown's coverage this past year on STO. One BIG, BIG problem we have in Central Florida is that STO HD is not carried on the DISH 61.5 sat, but on the 129 sat. which is virtually unwatchable here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update, STO is going 24/7 on its HD channel starting April 1. The channel has basically been dormant since the Indians' regular season ended, but they're going to show a lot of other programs in HD that it regularly produces, such as its Indians and Browns shows and its "All Bets are Off with Bruce Drennan" daily talk show.

·
Registered
101 Posts
STO responded to my query about HD coverage, with the bad news that Directv has informed them that they do not have the bandwith to carry the 24/7 HD programming until the about-to-be launched sat is operational, sometime later this summer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Living in Columbus, I really hope WWHO picks up the HD feeds from WKYC. It was a pain having to watch those Sunday home games in SD when I knew there was a HD feed available.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevfandad /forum/post/13371624

STO responded to my query about HD coverage, with the bad news that Directv has informed them that they do not have the bandwith to carry the 24/7 HD programming until the about-to-be launched sat is operational, sometime later this summer.

Did they say anything about a GTO channel?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watching the newly-launched 24/7 STO-HD channel.

The only thing I've seen in HD so far is replays of the season-opening win over the ChiSox. It looks decent to me though it has stuttered and froze for a second or two a few times during Tuesday's noon replay of the season opener (not sure why). But I'm not watching too intently because I had already seen the game twice in SD at work (once live, once on replay to see what I missed) and I can't keep my focus on watching the replays in HD just to see how the HD looks.

The HD replay of this game is the WKYC feed itself in full. No local commercials inserted by my cable system (TWC Mid Ohio hasn't started the local commercials on HD channels yet, or at least I haven't seen them) so it's all WKYC commercials. Not a big deal; just something else I noticed.

I guess the big thing I will keep in mind is that with the 24/7 HD channel launching not too many hours ago that I shouldn't be too quick to critique. Let them work the bugs out and see how they do with the HD approach to the ton of STO-specific shows they're planning (such as All Bets are Off, the Browns shows, Tee It Up Ohio, Outdoors show with Darcy Egan, etc.) STO has been one to take its time and do things right from what I've seen in the past two years of the network, so I expect the HD to unfold the same way.

One final note... WWHO did NOT pick up the HD feed of the season-opener that was syndicated by WKYC to the various Indians TV affiliates. There is a HD channel for WWHO on the cable system but they can't show the game in HD. Methinks some e-mails to WWHO or WBNS or whoever is in order.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1999y2j /forum/post/13528574

Watching the newly-launched 24/7 STO-HD channel.

The only thing I've seen in HD so far is replays of the season-opening win over the ChiSox. It looks decent to me though it has stuttered and froze for a second or two a few times during Tuesday's noon replay of the season opener (not sure why). But I'm not watching too intently because I had already seen the game twice in SD at work (once live, once on replay to see what I missed) and I can't keep my focus on watching the replays in HD just to see how the HD looks.

The HD replay of this game is the WKYC feed itself in full. No local commercials inserted by my cable system (TWC Mid Ohio hasn't started the local commercials on HD channels yet, or at least I haven't seen them) so it's all WKYC commercials. Not a big deal; just something else I noticed.

I guess the big thing I will keep in mind is that with the 24/7 HD channel launching not too many hours ago that I shouldn't be too quick to critique. Let them work the bugs out and see how they do with the HD approach to the ton of STO-specific shows they're planning (such as All Bets are Off, the Browns shows, Tee It Up Ohio, Outdoors show with Darcy Egan, etc.) STO has been one to take its time and do things right from what I've seen in the past two years of the network, so I expect the HD to unfold the same way.

One final note... WWHO did NOT pick up the HD feed of the season-opener that was syndicated by WKYC to the various Indians TV affiliates. There is a HD channel for WWHO on the cable system but they can't show the game in HD. Methinks some e-mails to WWHO or WBNS or whoever is in order.

Does STO have any plans for a :30 daily sports report ala most other local/RSN's?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/13528903

Does STO have any plans for a :30 daily sports report ala most other local/RSN's?

Haven't heard anything about that. But then again, the bread and butter is Indians coverage and they do a lot for them.

That said, if they find this to be a move in the best interest of STO, they'll do it, and they'll take extra time to launch it to do it right.

The HD channel is stuttering badly. I am flipping to the SD channel to see if it's just STO in general, if it's the HD channel only, or what. But this constant stuttering is bad. I rebooted my cable box and it still does it, and no other HD channel is stuttering, so I'm pegging the issue to likely be with STO.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevfandad /forum/post/13371624

I received the same e-mail response. STO seems to be a first class operation, as they have promptly responded to all my e-mail inquiries, including "follow up" questions.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1999y2j /forum/post/13528574

This isn't a matter of flipping a switch. They don't have the equipment to do it. Someone e-mailed them a while back and that was the answer. They are a pretty low budget operation and I doubt they will make the upgrades anytime soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watched today's afternoon series finale between the ChiSox and the Indians. HD was perfect. Not a problem in the world for me -- outside of losing 2-1 to Chicago, of course. The stuttering I had with the Opening Day replay was never an issue.

I checked out some other HD programming last night, such as "All Bets are Off" and it looked great with no issues.

STO definitely is doing it right! Regardless of how much time they may take, be it quick or long, they make sure what they put out is 100 percent class, and the 24/7 HD channel is no different!

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/13005443

I very much enjoyed the Brown's coverage this past year on STO. One BIG, BIG problem we have in Central Florida is that STO HD is not carried on the DISH 61.5 sat, but on the 129 sat. which is virtually unwatchable here.

Yup. When I was an E* sub, STO-HD and FSN OH-HD being on the 129 sat was the main reason I switched to D*. Even in Cleveland, I had massive problems accessing 129 reliably.

Now that I'm with D*, I am content with the game only HD channel until D11 is up and running this summer.

All of the issues that D* had with broadcasting the Indians game in HD the last few days has been ironed out. Apparently 657-1 is listed in the guide and even shows the Tribe @ Oakland game tonight. Of course this will be a "game -only" channel until it is converted to the 24/7 version when D11 is active.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty-McPost /forum/post/13531434

This isn't a matter of flipping a switch. They don't have the equipment to do it. Someone e-mailed them a while back and that was the answer. They are a pretty low budget operation and I doubt they will make the upgrades anytime soon.

Being a huge Tribe fan living down in Cbus I emailed WWHO to see what was up and I will point out they were real quick to respond and told me that WKYC was providing the feed so they weren't able to get HD, unlike if it was routed through STO.

WWHOs response: "To the best of my knowledge, WKYC is not making an HD Indians feed available to us or other "Indians Network" stations this season. (WKYC can run them in HD, as they do not need the additional satellite uplink that the other stations require.) While there are STO commercials in the feed, I believe that it is actually being routed through WKYC-TV, which inserts additional commercial spots---so we can't just grab the STO HD feed. I do believe that the distribution and equipment issues will be solved by next year, and the Indiians games on WWHO should be in HD from that point on.... It almost happened this year, but didn't quite come together."

So I guess that means hopefully next year will be 100% HD (of course I shouldn't be complaining as I can watch 95% of the games in HD - just not the afternoon weekend games)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejolsz /forum/post/13637533

Being a huge Tribe fan living down in Cbus I emailed WWHO to see what was up and I will point out they were real quick to respond and told me that WKYC was providing the feed so they weren't able to get HD, unlike if it was routed through STO.

WWHOs response: "To the best of my knowledge, WKYC is not making an HD Indians feed available to us or other "Indians Network" stations this season. (WKYC can run them in HD, as they do not need the additional satellite uplink that the other stations require.) While there are STO commercials in the feed, I believe that it is actually being routed through WKYC-TV, which inserts additional commercial spots---so we can't just grab the STO HD feed. I do believe that the distribution and equipment issues will be solved by next year, and the Indiians games on WWHO should be in HD from that point on.... It almost happened this year, but didn't quite come together."

So I guess that means hopefully next year will be 100% HD (of course I shouldn't be complaining as I can watch 95% of the games in HD - just not the afternoon weekend games)

Thank you for the response.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts