AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my projector for about three weeks now , when I first got it I noticed with a black screen a few green splotches but they are un-noticalble while watching movies.

On a blue screen I see nothing but blue. Yesterday I watched Total Recall and the opening sequence is mostly red, during this sequence I noticed ALOT of little black spots varying in size. Are these dead pixels or what?

------------------
James' DIY Speakers

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If you walk up to the screen, are they the size of an individual pixel or do they cover several? If they are exactly the size of a pixel, they are probably dead. If they cover a larger area and are round or irregular shaped, its probably dust.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Is it LCD or DLP? If LCD it's probably stuck or dead pixels. As there are 3 panels in LCD (R, G, B), it triple your chances of having an imperfect panel. DLP can have stuck mirrors too but they're rare. TI has more stringent quality control as 1 dead mirror automatically dictates repair or replacement. Plus with only 1 panel your chances are 3 times as good. Of course it'll be much more noticeable with a dead mirror than a dead pixel as the pixel may only affect certain colors. As long as it's not noticeable or distracting while watching movie, I would not worry about it. I sent my Sony VPL-CX1 in once for dead pixels and it took them 1 month to come back. Luckily they gave me a loaner after 2 wks wait and my qod complaints. Retrospectively it was not worth it. Like Wireless said if they're perfect squares and pixel-shaped, they're pixels. Dust usually covers more than 1 pixel and focus at different plane than pixels as they are bigger and thicker than pixels. If you get into counting dead pixels, you'd drive yourself crazy. For me I was crazy so I gave my LCD to my mom for TV and bought DLP (LT150) as the pixels were driving me crazy. Although Sony repaired everything and gave me back a perfect pixel unit (it took 3 panel replacements--that's why it took a month--as the "new" panels always had 1 or 2 dead pixels and I told them I refused to take it back until it's perfect), it could not bear the thought pixel(s) dying on me over time.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
Is it LCD or DLP?
If I am not mistaken James has the LT150

------------------

JP

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Unless he's changed projectors, he had a Chatani Enrich TC-2000 XGA LCD projector.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.