AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have made a bet, and thought it would be fun to share for those in the hi-def movie scene.

I have a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player in our HT, with a Panasonic PT-AE900 and 106" screen. Of course, I now loathe SD-DVD and she's tired of hearing about hi-def this-and-that. She insists that I probably can't even tell the difference between an SD-DVD disc and an HD-DVD disc, while I maintain that good quality HD DVD releases are night-and-day better.

We've both put our money where are mouths are - Some night this week, she's going to blind-test me with SD and HD versions of "Batman Begins" (the only movie I have on both SD and HD DVD), and see if I can tell which is the high-def disc. If she wins (and boy is she confident), she gets a new Louis Vuitton purse. If I win... I get to buy a Blu Ray disc player!

Pretty good bet I think. I'll let you know how it goes.

Greg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Make room for the BD player!!

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Don't use the upconversion on the HD DVD player. Use a seperate DVD player for the SD test.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsearles /forum/post/0

My wife and I have made a bet, and thought it would be fun to share for those in the hi-def movie scene.

I have a Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player in our HT, with a Panasonic PT-AE900 and 106" screen.

If you end up not being able to tell the difference, tell her it is because you need a projector that shows more detail.

I'm only half joking. The AE900 is nice (I have one), but I believe it smooths things out more than some other projectors. That can be a good thing, but will also tend to show less difference than a less forgiving projector.

--Darin

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty /forum/post/0

Don't use the upconversion on the HD DVD player. Use a seperate DVD player for the SD test.

Sneaky devil but go ahead and do it. All is fair when a Blu-Ray player is at stake.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0

Sneaky devil but go ahead and do it. All is fair when a Blu-Ray player is at stake.

I think he should keep it fair and play the DVDs like he normally would if he was going to watch a DVD (use the upconversion). If he can't tell the difference then he doesn't deserve to win and get the Blu-ray player IMO.

I wouldn't try to skew the results by not using upconversion, but I probably would take a few trial runs on my own first.

I don't remember how good the upconversion is in the AE900, but it might not make that much of a difference anyway (other than that the calibration of the projector might be completely different with 480p input and therefore make the test extremely unfair).

--Darin

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0

My other player though is an Oppo DV-981HD - also a phenomenal upconverter. She's already said too that she won't use two different players because she thought this might be cheating by me somehow. She's as smart as she is pretty, I tell you.

Greg

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

If you end up not being able to tell the difference, tell her it is because you need a projector that shows more detail.

I'm only half joking. The AE900 is nice (I have one), but I believe it smooths things out more than some other projectors. That can be a good thing, but will also tend to show less difference than a less forgiving projector.

--Darin

I was thinking the same thing! However, I bought the Panny under a year ago and PROMISED not to upgrade the projector until 2008.
How much will a JVC RS1 cost by then?

Greg

·
Registered
803 Posts
Who gets to buy the purse, you or her? My wife had a bunch of those things that not even the LV reps could tell if they were fakes or not. IMHO the purse market is insane with the prices these women will fork out for a bag with some name on it, when the EXACT same thing can be cloned and sold for 1/10th the price.

Watches and stuff I can understand, those are precision machines with factory warranties, but a PURSE????

Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Well the Tosh is supposed to be a superb upconverter anyway, right?

I partly agree with darin. If you lose this, I wouldn't show your face around here for awhile.

Having said that, correct me if wrong, but Batman Begins is such a dark looking flick that you're a bit handicapped from the color abilities of HD. I'm guessing there'll be a good contrast difference though.

You'd better watch both formats over and over until you can pick out the nuances...

just to hedge your bets.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

What he said.

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for your wife. As an HT enthusiast/early adopter AND AVS member, I think she's way out of her league on this one.

When I say "almost," I really mean...

"don't."

Call it an HT bro thing.

Enjoy your new PS3.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha /forum/post/0

I partly agree with darin. If you lose this, I wouldn't show your face around here for awhile.

I didn't mean it that way. Just that if he ends up not being able to tell the difference, then he shouldn't get the expensive Blu-ray player and she should win.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:

I didn't mean it that way. Just that if he ends up not being able to tell the difference, then he shouldn't get the expensive Blu-ray player and she should win.

--Darin

That's why I only "partly agree" with you.

I kicked it up a notch...

all in good fun, of course.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:

Some night this week, she's going to blind-test me with SD and HD versions of "Batman Begins" (the only movie I have on both SD and HD DVD), and see if I can tell which is the high-def disc. If she wins (and boy is she confident), she gets a new Louis Vuitton purse. If I win... I get to buy a Blu Ray disc player!

HD DVD is going to allow you to get BD?! Oh the irony!!

Gary

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

Two possible scenarios:

Wife: "You lose! Now buy me the purse!"

or

Wife: "Ok, you win. Go get your Blu-ray player... but I'm getting the purse anyway."

Thankfully my wife's into HT and not purses.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:

--Darin

Agreed. I'll be feeling pretty humble in here if I lose this thing. Plus all our friends will hear about it too. There's more than just a blu Ray player riding on this.

Greg

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

Two possible scenarios:

Wife: "You lose! Now buy me the purse!"

or

Wife: "Ok, you win. Go get your Blu-ray player... but I'm getting the purse anyway."

There is a high probability of this. She was likely OK with the Blu Ray player from the start or she probably woudn't have agreed to the bet. Also, I probably would have bought her the purse next time I was away at a conference anyhow.

Greg

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:

Agreed. I'll be feeling pretty humble in here if I lose this thing. Plus all our friends will hear about it too. There's more than just a blu Ray player riding on this.

Then you better practice before the big test.

Are you sure you don't want to go out and buy a DVD and HD DVD copy (if you don't have it) of "Blazing Saddles" or something instead of using "Batman Begins"?

--Darin

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.