AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has sprayed their PJ in full gloss paint, similar to the Vidikrons? What colour and are you happy with the result.

I saw one set up some time ago, it was a VP50HD in full gloss Ferrari red and it looked very impressive.

From what I have read, most paint theirs the same flat/matte colour to blend in with the ceiling.

I have a 1272 and was considering spraying it.

Yeah...I know my humble 1272 does'nt have those gracious curves of the Vidikrons.

Thanks, Andrew...

PS. Assume you would have to use special paint so it doesn't crack the case?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Funny you should post this.

I am putting together a high hour Ampro 3600p chassis, with a low hour 3600...so I gutted the high hour chassis, then took the sides and swing open panel off and painted them with a satan Black indusrial hard texture coat.

The plastic outer shell is not being used, as I have removed all the fans, and am using remote cooling, that outer shell is ugly and in the way, plus I think it hinders cooling.

The 3600 actually looks very good without it's outer shell.

I thought about some high gloss colors...for all of about 10 seconds...then decided to go for HT performance. I didn't like the possiblity of spewing the wrong reflected color around my room

When the lights go out that pretty little Ferrari Red case may do more harm than good.

In a dedicated HT, the color of the pj is rarely seen anyway.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Hey,

I prefer to use Dye on plastic instead of paint. I recently painted/dyed my home theater computer and I painted the metal components and dyed the plastic ones. You can buy dye in a spray can at autoparts stores. For me it would have to be black or perhaps very dark red and no gloss since reflections in my FP room are to be avoided. Most of the time the lights are out anyway.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dye? I've never heard of that. Does that soften the plastic chemically so that it can bond with / impermiate it, or does it just coat the outside like paint?

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Hey,

I don't know what happens to the dye chemically. My guess is it behaves more like paint than the way you would expect dye to work. In other words, it seems just like paint. The reason I prefer to dye plastic parts is I find it to be easier. I never get orange peel type finishes I get with paint. I also just think it's the right thing to do with plastic parts. It seems to bond better and require less coats than paint but that could just be my imagination. I bought mine at Pep-boys. I can't remember how it was designated as Dye instead of Paint except it says it's for use on plastic and vinyl stuff like bumpers and daskboards for example. I think mine was made by plasti-kote.

Good Luck,

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.