AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1812 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local stations have finally said they will put up there digital signals. They also in the same breath said they will only broadcast in SD until they can figure out if the area has people able to receive there HD signal. WGGB DT and WWLP DT will begin testing in the next few weeks, but I need anyone in the area to e-mail them and let them know we are out here. I've been waiting a long time for this to happen and would really be pissed if they after all this time only did SD.
http://www.wggb.com
http://www.wwlp.com

Everyone is needed

Thank you all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I live in central Mass and sent both stations an email!

Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I just hope that everyone looking at this post is also e-mailing them, or they will think they are right.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I searched both stations' websites and found no information about their plans. Do you have any links that tells what they are attempting to do?

Ralph

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know there web site has no info on HD at all. I'll get the link for you, it was in are local paper the Union News. They had interviews with both stations managers.
http://www.masslive.com/business/uni...2521198965.xml

Just in case link doesnt work goto www.masslive.com go to free news search then look in the business section then look at Sept. 29th. It's not the full story but the interview part is. Sorry for not putting link to story up sooner. Thanks AreBee

·
Registered
813 Posts
ralfy1,

Thanks for the link. That would be a shame to send an upconverted SD signal. It sucks when the networks finally get with the program and give us HD programming, and the affiliates can't (won't) come through.

My emails are out!

Ralph

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks allot really appreciate it. Yeah it makes no sense for us to watch SD when they can but wont do HD. You see the manajerk from WGGB say there not going to buy the switching equipment, I know 100,000 isn't cheap but come on why go only half way. Thanks AreBee for sending out those e-mails, I just really hope that again it's everyone viewing this post sending out the e-mails not just those replying.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Even though I live in Connecticut, I find myself watching WGGB and WWLP quite often, their signal seems to come in better then WVIT and WTNH at times. Plus WVIT and WTNH like to sometimes preempt things and I am glad I can get WGGB and WWLP.

I just emailed them to let them know I was not happy to hear that they are not broadcasting in HD. I was looking forward to NBC in HD on WWLP as our NBC here in Connecticut has not got the ball rolling on digital yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering has anyone received a response from your e-mails?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again to everyone sending out those e-mails, even if not everyone viewing this post sends one out. Jay , Scott, AreBee, Mike and anyone else thanks for taking the time to send out those e-mails.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
No, no reply from eaither.

Please keep writing!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, it looks like I got their attention!

Here's what I got back:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding our digital transmission plans. The info you obtained from the AVS Forum is only partially correct. Initially our digital signal will be in standard definition only. We are still waiting for delivery of additional equipment that will allow us to transmit in high definition. This equipment will hopefully arrive prior to Jan 1, 2003. We hope to have our digital signal, with standard definition programming, on the air in a few weeks. Our digital channel will be 11. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of equipment supplies and installers. Armed with the above info, hopefully you will be able to move us off your list of short sighted people. Thanks for your interest. Bill Pepin Vice President/General Manager

I've heard via the AVS Forum that you are planning to begin digital transmission shortly, but are not planning to broadcast HD signals.

That has to be the most short sighted thing I've ever heard in my life. The ONLY people recieving digital broadcasts are those with Digital HD receivers and HD TV's.

I would be a NEW viewer from CT if you broadcast HD as our local station in Hartford has no short term plans to begin broadcasting HD.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to yoru viewers and broadcast HD signals!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, you got a reply, must be the first person. Hey thanks for sending out that e-mail and it's great you got at least some sort of answer concerning HD. Well I guess they have a timetable, but still kinda sucks having to wait til 03 for it. It wasnt a canned reply either nice for him to include short sided in his reply.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I noticed WGGB-TV40/DTV-55 was sending out a signal this afternoon. My HD100 locked on but I was unable to add the station to the guide (no psip?) DTV36/ABC19 out of North Adams/Albany also comes in. Now if only DTV33/3 could settle their tower issues and start broadcasting a stronger signal (I currently get a 37 signal strength from them and have to put up with the occasional dropout from channel 4/30 out of Boston.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet, it has begun. I just tried to tune in channel 55 (ABC WGGB 40 Springfield) and got a strong signal. Well at least they are on track, havent got a peep from WWLP 22 DT-11 at all. Soon is a long way away, it's hard sitting there knowing it will be months before we get HD off those channels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow Channel 40 WGGB is broadcasting there digital signal right now. It's very low power, I leave really close and I'm only getting between 40 and 50 signal. It's locking on as 40-1 and it's just an upconvert of their regular stuff, but at least it's there. Nothing from 22 (Digital 11)

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I got the following in my email this morning from WWLP.

Looks like we ARE being heard!

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry regarding our digital transmission

plans. Our digital transmitter is currently being installed. We expect our

digital service, on channel 11, will be operational by mid-October, 2002.

Initially our digital service will be in standard definition. We hope to be

transmitting a high definition signal by the end of 2002.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

William M. Pepin

Vice President/General Manager

1 - 20 of 1812 Posts