AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I would like to ask for a suggestion. I would need a spyder 5 colormeter to use it to calibrate my Jvc projector through autocal. I was offered for express version apparently for a good price. Should I get it or better to invest some more in a pro version? I was reading the express is limited to 6500k color temperature and 2.2 gamma while the pro offers more options like 2.4 gamma. Are these different impacting the use with autocal? Thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hi everyone I would like to ask for a suggestion. I would need a spyder 5 colormeter to use it to calibrate my Jvc projector through autocal. I was offered for express version apparently for a good price. Should I get it or better to invest some more in a pro version? I was reading the express is limited to 6500k color temperature and 2.2 gamma while the pro offers more options like 2.4 gamma. Are these different impacting the use with autocal? Thank you very much for your help
They are the same, except the Express has no ambient light sensor on the back, but that thing is pretty useless anyways.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you. But I think the express can’t be used with autocal version related to the RS420 series. Can anyone confirm that? Thank you very much

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thank you. I am a bit confused. Reading from Jvc they mention only the Pro and Elite. Do you use the Express with autocal and and the 420/520/620 Jvc models? Thank you very much

Datacolor Spyder5 ELITE/PRO
X-rite i1 Pro2*1
Software JVC_PJ_Calibration9_en_v1_20.zip
PC OS supported Microsoft Windows 10(32/64bit)
Microsoft Windows 8(32/64bit)
Microsoft Windows 7(32/64bit)(Recommend)
HDD

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hi thank you. I am a bit confused. Reading from Jvc they mention only the Pro and Elite. Do you use the Express with autocal and and the 420/520/620 Jvc models? Thank you very much

Datacolor Spyder5 ELITE/PRO
X-rite i1 Pro2*1
Software JVC_PJ_Calibration9_en_v1_20.zip
PC OS supported Microsoft Windows 10(32/64bit)
Microsoft Windows 8(32/64bit)
Microsoft Windows 7(32/64bit)(Recommend)
HDD
They don't mention the express because it doesn't have an ambient light sensor on the back which is a feature of autocal that wont work with the express.

But no I don't use a x20 jvc or spyder express.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Dominic. Would you recommend the express for autocal or better a pro even fin o title more expensive? I have already a display 1pro that I use with hcfr. Thank you

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Thank you Dominic. Would you recommend the express for autocal or better a pro even fin o title more expensive? I have already a display 1pro that I use with hcfr. Thank you
As SirMaster mentioned, for autocal the Express is just as good as the other Spyder models.

If you do a search you will find a patch that allows the i1DP to be used with autocal.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
As SirMaster mentioned, for autocal the Express is just as good as the other Spyder models.

If you do a search you will find a patch that allows the i1DP to be used with autocal.
Or at the very least he can create a correction matrix for his Spyder 5 from his i1D3 and then use the Spyder with autocal.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Or at the very least he can create a correction matrix for his Spyder 5 from his i1D3 and then use the Spyder with autocal.
I found the Spyder5 quite sensitive to the measuring angle, so a correction matrix won’t help completely. The i1D3 works much more consistently, and is also much faster.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much for these informative replies. I own a display 1pro not the 3. I will look for the patch to be able to use the display 1pro and I will let you know. Your assistance is essential. Thank you

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems that the link to the ‘experimental patch’ has been removed because ‘risky’. So I will go with either the spyder express or pro at this point. I will keep you posted. Thank you very much

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ok Dominic I didn’t know that. I couldn’t find the patch though and I don’t want to perform something ‘risky’. I will try to get a spyder. Thank you very much

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I found the Spyder5 quite sensitive to the measuring angle, so a correction matrix won’t help completely. The i1D3 works much more consistently, and is also much faster.
Dominic, you saying there's a way to use the i1D3 with auto-cal?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You can use the i1 Display Pro with Autocal with a modded dll file patch. When you select the Spyder it will actually be using the i1 Display Pro. For GAMMA though, I much rather use the Spyder so basically I was calibrating GAMMA with the Spyder5, then closing the app and changing to the modded dll file, then starting the app to do Color with the i1 Display Pro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts