AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted this link at WSR for Datacolor's v7.0 ColorFacts...

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news...l.php?id=12693

I didn't get to see them at CES . The Directory had them at the Sands which was wrong , then their Web Site put them in the Wynit Booth at South 3 which was just a rack with three SpyderTV's on it and no Reps in site . After I get home I find this and that it was probably invitation only as was much of CES this year . Oh well

Scott..................

Edit: Just noticed on page 127 of January's CEPro , a picture of the Spyder Platinum Sensor . I wonder if there is anything different under the hood ?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Yeah ... I was there in the Room at the Sahara giving short presentations to those that came and wanted to learn about the products and the general concepts of calibration. I was also very lonely ...
most of the time.

Regards

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Michael is there info on DataColor pages about this - like a whats new in 7.0, what is upgrade policy, what is a platinum sensor? If there is not can you get the OK for someone in LionAV ColorFacts support team to post this?

I would hope platinum means hand tuned calibration rather than factory default tables in the sensor....but I will refrain from going further into my personal wish list...

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I'm just a product tester here when it comes to the wares ... but I will get Gregg to look at this and he gets to decide.

One of the additions to the program package is on going on line support from actual calibrators ... versus just support from the programming team (who are not calibrators).

Regards

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Greetings

Yeah ... I was there in the Room at the Sahara giving short presentations to those that came and wanted to learn about the products and the general concepts of calibration. I was also very lonely ...
most of the time.

Regards

Hi Michael ,

That was most unfortunate as all the "good stuff" appears to have been off-site and on the "Strip" this year . The CES Floor is resembling a giant Best Buy more and more as years go on with their walls of LCD and Plasmas . CEDIA appears to have more of what interests people here .

Scott...........

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Greetings

I'm just a product tester here when it comes to the wares ... but I will get Gregg to look at this and he gets to decide.

One of the additions to the program package is on going on line support from actual calibrators ... versus just support from the programming team (who are not calibrators).

Regards

Hey Michael ,

Any updates or information on this Spyder Platinum yet ?

Scott..................

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Nothing ... from my end, but I am not part of that loop. Check the datacolor web site.

regards

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0

It just says CF7.0 comes with Platinum Spyder...I am sure there are some that would upgrade their sensor if they knew technically what they are buying...

I agree . It's too bad Mark Hunter doesn't frequent the Forums as often as he used to . I imagine that competing software and sensors has made that a little awkward .

We'll have to get our insight from someplace else .

Scott..................

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/0

The Platinum Spyders are supposed to be shipping within the next week or so

...and you will , of course , let us all know the details
?

Scott..............

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraman /forum/post/0

The 7.0 upgrade is now available at the Datacolor website - I just placed my order. The Platinum Spyder is part of the $499 upgrade. The last thing I need is another sensor, so I just got the $99 deal.

Please let us know what the differences or benefits are with the new sensor .

Scott............

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K /forum/post/0

Please let us know what the differences or benefits are with the new sensor .

Scott............

Scott,

I think subraman is saying that he didn't get the upgrade package with the Platinum Spyder, only a software upgrade for $99.

Looks like we'll have to wait a while for a definitive assessment of the Platinum Spyder.

-Steve

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Their web page mentions only 4 features that are new to CF7.

# NEW C3 Remote

# NEW Signal generator integration

# NEW Gamma calculator

# NEW Secondary Color Override

This is appallingly meager considering that CF has not had a major upgrade since version 5 released, what, 5 years ago?

Does anyone know anything else about CF7?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That is disappointing. FYI, I've been a CF user since version 3.0 back in 2002. I upgraded to CF 5.0 in 2004 (not for free, BTW), and I recently upgraded to 6.0. Honestly, there's not much difference. I'm not going to bother with 7.0 unless the Platinum Spyder turns out to be significantly better than the current Spyder. I'm even considering CalMan at this point because of its support of the Display 2.

-Steve

·
Registered
707 Posts
Steve,

Progressive Labs software now supports the Display 2 , Display LT, and very shortly will support the Eye-One Pro spectroradiometer. Software is available for purchase separately with a license to support hardwarwe which you may already own!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Scott wrote:
Quote:
I agree . It's too bad Mark Hunter doesn't frequent the Forums as often as he used to .

I'm still around...at least in spirit.

It's been a long time!

There is no hardware difference between the Spyder2 and the Spyder2 Platinum that ships with the higher-end home theater products...except that the Platinum is more accurate.

How is it possible that the Spyder2 Platinum is the same, yet more accurate?

Well, we put together a web page to describe the calibration and selection process to answer the "Platinum" question. It's been coming up a lot lately.

You can find out the difference between the two on this FAQ page:

http://www.spydertvpro.com/faqs2.php

Nice to see you're still around!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.