AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished "calibrating" my DLP using a new Spyder3 TV and I have to say..WTD??

The recommended setting for tint was -48

Contrast= 99

Color= 68

You get the idea.

I had the Spyder flush up against the screen as instructed and absolutely no ambient light in the room.

I've run through the calibration twice with similar results. Maybe I bought a bad unit?

I've emailed Colorvision and am still waiting for a response. Was hoping someone here could shed some light.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Not sure what your range is for contrast, but 99 seems awfully high considering many TV's have a range of 0-100. As far as getting in contact with Colorvision, good luck on that one. Many of us have tried in the past with 0 success. Is this a rear projection DLP? Try using a tri-pod and back the probe about 6 inches from the screen if it is a rear projection DLP. It may or may not help. Make sure to keep all the lights off. Otherwise, try HCFR and see what you get for a 100 IRE light value. I can't help but think your contrast is incredibly high, but again, I don't know the range as I don't know what display you have.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader151 /forum/post/15515523

Just finished "calibrating" my DLP using a new Spyder3 TV and I have to say..WTD??

The recommended setting for tint was -48

Contrast= 99

Color= 68

You get the idea.

I had the Spyder flush up against the screen as instructed and absolutely no ambient light in the room.

I've run through the calibration twice with similar results. Maybe I bought a bad unit?

I've emailed Colorvision and am still waiting for a response. Was hoping someone here could shed some light.

You got recommended settings for tint and color from the meter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recommended settings from the Spyder software are way messed up.

Yes, my contrast goes from 0-100, so 99 is wacked.

Tint is also way off as well as color, brightness and contrast.

I don't see how this unit can be working correctly because there's no way anyone would want their display to end up looking like mine did.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader151 /forum/post/15521933

Ummm..... what? Is there a problem?

10 Spyders will give you 10 different measurements.

Even if they were consistent, the Spyder is not accurate enough to give you a correct brightness setting at that low of a fL. The x and y color axis is also questionable at best.

You should manually use a pluge pattern to manually set Brightness and Contrast, along with a blue filter with SMPTE Color Bars for for color and tint.

They Spyder 3 just isnt accurate enough to do these as well as the human eye with these simple tools.

The Spyder 3 should be used to try and get your color temp/grey scale close to D65 - and not much more, as you have found out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's all I needed to know..it's going back.

I already have VE and the Avia discs (just not the BR version) so I'm just going to use those.

Thanks..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts