AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the SpyderTV meter has any problems in getting accurate readings from from LCD flat panels?

When I use the EyeOne beamer to read my calibrated LCD flat panel, I get excellent results of D65 from 30-100 with a dE of 1-2.

However when I take the same measurements with the SpyderTV meter it reads way too cool at 30 IRE (about 7600 CT with a dE of 18) and then gets more and more accurate as I move toward 100 IRE, at which point it reads 6520CT with a dE of 1. And it is clear from patterns that the grayscale is actually quite flat and reading accurately.

So it seems that with increased brightness the SpyderTV gets more accurate. This is actually quite shocking because normally with front projectors and even RPTV SXRD I measure the SpyderTV does exceptionally well, particularly in the low areas.

Because I've never had this issue measuring DLP or SXRD front projectors or my SXRD RPTV, I am thinking that this is somehow related to the SpyderTV not working well with LCD flat panels.

Has anyone else ever experienced or heard of this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Low-light accuracy is one of the seperators between probes. The more you spend on one, the more accurate it is at low levels. For color probes to be accurate with LCD panels, they have to narrow the field of view to the sensors. They accomplish this by placing tubes between the probes surface and the sensors. The Sencore and Progressive labs probes have a 9 degree field of view. Probes like the Sypder place the sensors right up by the screen and therefore the light reaching them is already scattered. Sencore's website has more information on this.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberle /forum/post/0

Low-light accuracy is one of the seperators between probes. The more you spend on one, the more accurate it is at low levels. For color probes to be accurate with LCD panels, they have to narrow the field of view to the sensors. They accomplish this by placing tubes between the probes surface and the sensors. The Sencore and Progressive labs probes have a 9 degree field of view. Probes like the Sypder place the sensors right up by the screen and therefore the light reaching them is already scattered. Sencore's website has more information on this.

Thanks for the post. Are you saying that this would then cause issues reading any type of RPTV, like SXRD?

I'm confused because I can read my SXRD RPTV perfectly with the SpyderTV probe, but not an LCD flat panel? I would think the issue you raised would apply equally to SXRD or LCD, but apparently not since it actually works with SXRD... ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
This doesn't apply to rearpro because the image is projected. The light is scattered long before it reaches the screen. A probe is OK with any rearpro, a spectroradiometer is better. You only need the special tube-equipped probe with a panel.

·
Registered
978 Posts
er Chris,

I disagree with you on this. the Spyder prode was first designed for LCD panel applications. It is extremely accurate with this technology (and with CRT for that matter).

happy tweeking,

Gregg

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
lovingdvd

Are you putting the syper on the screen with the suction cup? If so DON'T any thing on the screen it will mess your readings up. Get a tripod or make a a rig, you want it close but not touching, I have mine less than 1/2" with a slight up angle.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 /forum/post/0

lovingdvd

Are you putting the syper on the screen with the suction cup? If so DON'T any thing on the screen it will mess your readings up. Get a tripod or make a a rig, you want it close but not touching, I have mine less than 1/2" with a slight up angle.

Yes indeed - I had the probe right on the screen via the suction cups. Thanks for the tip. I will try it with a tripod like you mentioned. It works fine with my SXRD RPTV, but from the previous posts it definitely sounds like things work different with the flat panel compared to the projection approach. Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/0

Yes indeed - I had the probe right on the screen via the suction cups. Thanks for the tip. I will try it with a tripod like you mentioned. It works fine with my SXRD RPTV, but from the previous posts it definitely sounds like things work different with the flat panel compared to the projection approach. Thanks for the tips guys.

You said you had it attached with the suctions cups, does this also mean you removed the IR filter to expose the suction cups. Or was it the single suction cup that is attached to the tripod adapter?

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/0

You said you had it attached with the suctions cups, does this also mean you removed the IR filter to expose the suction cups. Or was it the single suction cup that is attached to the tripod adapter?

I'm not exactly following your question. I had the SypderTV meter stuck onto the set using the 3 suction cups on the bottom. The diffuser was still attached. This is also how I use it on a tripod, although I did not use a tripod in this experiment. This is the same way I attach it to the SXRD RPTV without a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.