AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I think I am going to buy a laptop. Partially to be able to use REW, because the dell dimension 4600 I have now isn't really up to the task it seems, and also so I can use REW much closer to my system which now is about 50ft away.

I am going to sometimes, maybe permanently plug in my laptop to the system so I can watch internet videos on it. Is there any sound card out there that sounds really good? I am afraid the stock ones like "high def audio 2.0 or 2.2 won't have the greatest SQ, but I could be wrong. Would a desktop do a better job processing the sound?

I am looking to spend about $600-650. I'm thinking dual 4400 or maybe i3, with around 3gb DDR3 ram, 7200rpm HDD, and a blu-ray player. HDMI out is a must. Decent graphics would be sweet too for light gaming, but I basically just want to have the blu-rays play well, and to be able to blaze around the internet. This may be a tall order for $600 but maybe there is a deal out there to be had. Any suggestions? Thanks to all who choose to help this computer novice.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
What kind of audio are you looking to put out? 2ch stereo, headphones, 5.1, 7.1?

Further, are you looking to only use the digital audio out of the HDMI connection into an AVR, or are you specifically interested in analog audio output?

I can't help much with HDMI as I've never looked for a laptop with HDMI, as for analog audio out, they will all be equal (as in not that good.) However, there are a number of USB soundcards that fit into a range of quality and costs that will get you better than onboard audio capability.

-Suntan

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will need to put out 5.1 and I will sometimes use headphones. I am basically wondering what is out there for cheap that has decent SQ, and a decent graphics card. I've found the gateway NV5927u amogst other similar gateways, as well as a couple sonys, but it looks like I can't upgrade the graphics or soundcard in them from the factory. Any ideas for a solid reasonably priced laptop?

Could I put something like this into my laptop after getting it? Or is ungrading only for desktops?

bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 /forum/post/18276155

I will need to put out 5.1 and I will sometimes use headphones. I am basically wondering what is out there for cheap that has decent SQ, and a decent graphics card. I've found the gateway NV5927u amogst other similar gateways, as well as a couple sonys, but it looks like I can't upgrade the graphics or soundcard in them from the factory. Any ideas for a solid reasonably priced laptop?

Could I put something like this into my laptop after getting it? Or is ungrading only for desktops?

bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

The PCI sound card will only work in a desktop... for laptops, you are limited to whatever is internal, or USB devices. I assume you will be connecting to the receiver via SPDIF (optical). If you don't have SPDIF on the laptop, you can add it on via a USB stick.

I own and recommend the Turtle Beach audio advantage micro, which is a USB device, and is around $30... pretty much the cheapest, easiest way to add an SPDIF port to something. If you are connecting via SPDIF (optical) to your receiver, you are simply passing along the signal untouched, and the sound quality of the sound card isn't an issue - you're just passing 1's and 0's to your receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts