AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new little system, so far a little dissapointed. My measly Logitech Z640 sounds just as good if not better.

New system consists of HK3490 and a pair of Energy RC-10's.

When I first got it, sounded sooo bad like AM radio bad with lossless music on my Zune HD. Tried it on my PC and sounded much better. Then I turned the Bass almost max and Treble maxed out on front panel. Sounds pretty good now but my old cheap Z-640's arent far off, still maybe better (maybe its the lack of sub killing it?) so far only been using this for music.

So thinking maybe better speaker placement will help? my room is kinda tricky, it's square. 11x11x8.5.

Heres a crappy cell pic of part of my room

Behind my desk is a bed and I was standing in the door way for the pic. To the right is some empty space but there is a swing open closet door.

Any ideas on speaker placement? Thx

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I really can not imagine a worse setup than pointing the RC-10's at each other, with you "sorta" in between. You are severely limited by the small room, but to get stereo imaging, you need to reconsider the speaker placement in a more traditional "stereo setup"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its pretty bad. I tried putting the one RC10 by the window kind of where I am standing but didnt really sound any better. But that put both speakers kinda behind me...maybe a little SOL on this one

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
751 Posts
Those are really nice speakers, but in that setup, they're totally wasted.

Ideally, you'll redesign the room layout around the speakers. If that isn't feasible, you might as well try a nearfield setup, with the speakers on your desk, flanking the monitor angled in, pointing towards the center of your face. The tweeters should be at seated ear level. Placing the second monitor and your laptop could be problematic, though. You've got a lot of stuff to fit on your desk
Your Logitechs are probably a more realistic solution. ALthough the RC-10s are smallish monitors, they need some room to breathe--two feet per Energy. They're rear ported, so if they are pushed up against a wall, they sure won't reach the specified 50Hz. Tone controls are a crude and unsatisfying form of EQ that isn't going to fix poor speaker placement.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
are you more concerned about sound while watching the TV in the corner...or music ?

Even if you put the speakers on either side of the TV, to try to create a stereo soundstage, they would eat up way too much of your desk area.

You might consider speaker stands, at least you could position the speakers independent of the furniture.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Ya, I mostly use them hooked up to my PC(s) listening to music or anything I do on my PC. When I first got them, I tested them in someone elses house which is huge and they sounded really really bad. When I brought them home I played with the Treble and Bass and deicded the Treble needed to be maxed and bass almost max to get good sound. With the tone controls in the middle the speakers would distort at a volume we could talk over. Everything was connected right so not sure why I need to max out the tones.

Anyways, back to speaker placement. I tried both on the dresser where the one is but that faces both the rear ports to the corner of the room and it got really boomy. Also tried to put one on the dresser and made a little stand and put it about ear level in the other corner with both speakers about 2ft from wall. Sounded ok, but have a closet and room door in the way, and everywhere i put it really is close to the wall. Can't really move the desk beecause it's a corner desk. The room has quite alot of reverbs too when I clap.

Sad thing is I just moved in and have much more stuff that needs to fit on the desk anyways. Only home about 3 days every 3 weeks anyways, so I stuck this stuff in my semi truck for now. Sounds pretty bad in here for obvious reasons but lets me tinker around with listening positions.

That reminds me, I did try it outside under a patio outside and it sounded really good there when we were like 20 feet away from the speakers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a bedroom? If I didn't have a bed or anything it would be easy. Kind of have an idea to get good position but the sound would be behind me but could always swivel the chair if I wanted.

Also, do those speakers have built in defrosters? JK
Nice setup in that small room.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Peen, you should try to find a way to put the speakers along that wall at ear level, under the Maxell poster. Parts Express has inexpensive speaker stands. That curio stand and computer desk are just eating up that space, can they be moved? It would be ideal to have the front of the speaker at least 18" from the wall, but that might put them in harm's way. Would help if we could see the entire room.

I remember when you bought that Hafler, Zaluss. How is it working for you? They love planars. Wish I never would have sold my XL-600.
I have hooked up lots of people with XL-280's. And not a single one has sold theirs.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peen /forum/post/18149367

Is that a bedroom? If I didn't have a bed or anything it would be easy. Kind of have an idea to get good position but the sound would be behind me but could always swivel the chair if I wanted.

Also, do those speakers have built in defrosters? JK
Nice setup in that small room.

Yes that is a bedroom and yes I have a bed! Its a small twin bed. You wouldn't believe it but I also have a couch in here as well! I'll post pictures soon. Your problem is your desk. I used to have a desk just like that. Z-line? Then again I used to have a mad watercooled custom gaming rig (back in the early Athlon X2 s939 days) but since then I've adopted a simple low power HTPC for my day to day use and opted for an entertainment center instead of a desk. I think if you work around your layout you can find the perfect solution to your square room. I've changed my room DOZENS of times to try to get the audio right. Its STILL not right but much better than my original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/18150539

Peen, you should try to find a way to put the speakers along that wall at ear level, under the Maxell poster. Parts Express has inexpensive speaker stands. That curio stand and computer desk are just eating up that space, can they be moved? It would be ideal to have the front of the speaker at least 18" from the wall, but that might put them in harm's way. Would help if we could see the entire room.

I remember when you bought that Hafler, Zaluss. How is it working for you? They love planars. Wish I never would have sold my XL-600.
I have hooked up lots of people with XL-280's. And not a single one has sold theirs.

Hafler is amazing! Nothing like a 30 year old amplifier to get your planar speakers going. Its unfortunate that I can't use the built in subs in the Mini's because I'm on the third floor of an apartment. I'm going to end up modding this thing soon

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yes a fellow computer guy! This forum is similar to the Xtreme computer forums I have 2 watercooled PC's under that desk (4.6ghz Core i7) and 2-3 others chillin there (good thing I dont do phase anymore), so can't really move the desk. But hey you guys gave me some ideas, going to get rid of that black metal stand thing and the dresser.

After I get rid of those, I can get some speaker stands and put them on the side of the walls with the doors since the whole wall would be clear.

Messing around with the speakers in my truck thats really quite and soft...can't think of the word but when u clap theres no reverbs. Anyways, seems like the RC-10's need to be very close to the wall or there is just no bass at all. Maybe if I had a sub it would be ok.

Zallus, would be cool to see some more pics of your room. Looks like you got it set up nicely

Oh ya, if I didn't mention about the desk it's a corner desk that won't fit in any other corners but that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Peen

Treat the upper corners of your room with acoustical treatment. This will start to take away extra sound in your room. Once you get the extra sound waves in your room under control then you will start to hear the air pressure in the room more clearly. It sounds better outside of your room because it does not have the same problems that you are dealing with inside.

Square rooms are only a problem when areas that need to be controlled are not.

While doing this try not to over dampen your room or it will dull out the sound. You want the control without loosing anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys! Finally back, here are some new pics. Sorry for the bad quality (blackberry pics) but showing all 4 walls of my room

Mirror wall

Other wall

Window wall, speakers face this wall

And the speakers themselves! Got some 31" Sanus stands coming today that I got for $37 shipped

So I got the speakers 6' apart, 2' from the side walls and only a few inches from back wall with just a slight toe-in. Played with different distances from back wall and couldn't really tell if it made any difference. Can't really play too loud living in apartment, so maybe it would at higher volumes.

Put a blanket over the window for 2 reasons, to block some reflections and It's always sunny in Phil...I mean Chandler, AZ

Also put some pilllows in the corners. Seems to help bass not sound as boomy. Don't really have much bass anyways, so really need to get a sub. Leaning towards an HSU STF-2 maybe even up to a VTF2 MK3.

So Watcha guys/girls think, anything I can do to help sound on the cheap? Sounds pretty good now but my room is still pretty resonant.

Thx!

edit: Wow, sorry for the huge pics they usually aren't nearly that big. And sorry for the messy room!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why, whats wrong with it? Sounds alot better then the Logitech nows. I just tried them and they sound 1 dimensional in camparison.

I got everything set up the way they recommend except for the square room and theres nothing in the near future I can do about that.

Your post makes no sense to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.