AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have Sony DAV-DZ720 home theater system. It is a 5.1 system and the amplifier is built into the DVD player. However, it has only HDMI output, and no way for having 5.1 audio source in (other than stereo audio/video). I am planning to replace the amplifier/DVD player with another AV receiver that supports multiple HDMI IN, and Coaxial/Digital Audio IN.

However there is something making me concerned. For each speaker there is a separate wire (regular audio wires, the +/-), but they have strange ends (square shaped, like phone plugs) and from what I saw most AV receivers use RCAs for the speakers. Would it be possible to cut off the end and hook them to RCAs? if not, what should be done instead?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,627 Posts
Typically, speaker connections do NOT use RCA connections. Some HTiBs might but you will not see speaker outputs on standard AVRs via RCA. They mostly use multi-way screw terminals.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20878851

Typically, speaker connections do NOT use RCA connections. Some HTiBs might but you will not see speaker outputs on standard AVRs via RCA. They mostly use multi-way screw terminals.

Oh, holy god, I am so glad I came back and read your reply here
(I deleted my 1st reply). LOL, I did just run into one of these a few days ago, but I guess his wording made my mind jump back 30+ years to some of the old receivers that used RCA type plugs. Now that I reread his question, it is quite clear he is not referring to ancient receivers, and that he either misunderstands or misstated when he said, "from what I saw most AV receivers use RCAs for the speakers."

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's a proprietary connector from sony. This is so people don't "screw it up" and get complaints to the tech support line.

It's still just a speaker connector. You CAN cut them off and attach another speaker to the bare wires, or if you prefer, solder on RCA jacks, the amp isn't putting out any more than 20wpc on the high end anyways. But keep that in mind when you do this, it'll burn up your amp if improperly matched (or burn up the speakers because your pushing pure distortion into them)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kal, @dbx123, yes guys you are right I misunderstood. The main reason was because in the past I saw one of my friend's 5.1 system for PC, where the speakers use RCA. When I checked recently the current AVR images from the back on the Internet, I saw what it looked like RCA (Will, now I know it isn't).

@goobenet, thanks for clarifications.

So is it possible to just take off the square jack and hook it to the AVR, and what plug do I need to buy and use?

Edit: Do banana plugs work here?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tria /forum/post/20879195

@Kal, @dbx123, yes guys you are right I misunderstood. The main reason was because in the past I saw one of my friend's 5.1 system for PC, where the speakers use RCA.

The computer output was probably for active speakers or to hook into the inputs in a receiver. Computers themselves tend to not have onboard amplifiers.

Quote:
So is it possible to just take off the square jack and hook it to the AVR, and what plug do I need to buy and use?

Edit: Do banana plugs work here?

You can use banana plugs, but they're not necessary. Most receivers allow for bare wire to be plugged in and tightened down.

However, heed goobenet's advice and make sure the speakers can be used with the receiver. A lot of HTIB speakers like Sony use something like 3ohm speakers or along those lines, and many receivers don't match well to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I know PCs have no amplifiers, but my friend's system used a built in amplifier in the sub woofer, and from there RCAs or something like this (I didn't care much back then).

I guess I will have to make sure they match.

Many thanks Tulpa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts