AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done this past weekend with 90% of my home theater setup. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to squaring up the picture with the screen. It seems that my projector needs to be tilted slightly to the lert in order for the picture to be level.

I have auto keystoning on, should I take it off and try to keystone it manually? Other than putting a small book under it to level it out, any other options. I hate to spoil a nice install with a book under the projector.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Do you mean that the projector has to be tilted to the left around the axis of projection (i.e., around the lens axis)? If that is the case, that obviously means either the screen or the projector mount is not level. Is it ceiling or table mounted?

As for the auto-keystone adjustment, I would turn it off (you do not want to use the digital keystone compensation anyway). At any rate, if you are talking about the tilt around the axis of projection, keystone adjustment should be irrelevant.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wterry

Adjusting the location of the projector relative to the screen surface can solve the problem. I start by first eliminating any horizontal keystone distortion. Laterally adjust the projector so that the left and right heights of the image are equal and ensure that the top of the image is truly horizontal. Now adjust the projector to eliminate any vertical keystone distortion. Vertically adjust the projector so that the top and bottom widths of the image are equal and ensure that the sides are truly vertical. This is easy if your ceiling mount has provisions for adjustment. You may need to relocate your screen location to suit the limitations of your ceiling mount adjustments, that is, if your projector is ceiling mounted. You may have to iterate through this procedure to get it exact.

Peter

·
Registered
271 Posts
Turn the autokeystoning off then square your picture up. I've found the autokeystoning often makes things worse, not better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
FWIW this is what I did.

1) Hung the screen.

2) Triangulated from screen edges to ceiling mount pole so both legs of the triangle were equal.

3) Made my own ceiling mount following MonkeyMan's DIY ceiling mount. This design allows pitch, roll , and yaw adjustments. The threads in the pipe allow for yaw, and the screws to the plexiglass plate allow for pitch and roll adjustments.

4) VERY CAREFULLY measured down from ceiling to top of projected image on screen. Used this measurement to determine the correct length of pipe for ceiling mount. For my projector (Sony HS-10), the center of the lens needs to be the same distance from the ceiling as the top of the screen image, so basically you're adjusting the mount to make that happen.

5) On my projector there are 3 mounting holes for the ceiling mount plexiglass to be attached to the bottom of the projector. I used screws that were 60 mm long with springs and wingnuts to make the fine adjustments of pitch and roll.

As a result, my projector is squared-up and centered on the screen and the projected image fits perfectly - with NO horizontal and NO vertical keystoning. This was a pretty easy project, except cutting the plexiglass with the cutting tool was a pain.

You can find the plans for the Monkey_Man mount in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=232749

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see on my HS10 how to do the vertial keystoning, but I didn't see any adjustment for horozontial keystoning.

·
Registered
344 Posts
On the HS-10, horizontal keystoning is called "side shot". It's best to avoid any keystoning (vertical or horizontal) if at all possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.