1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Nuts!!!!!!!!!

Every single RPTV I look at on this forum seems to have a list of problems:

Red Push

Stuck Pixel

Three flashing lights

flickering

HELP!!!!!!!! I just want a big screen. I'm tired of my 27 inch tv............but at least it works.

I know these things are somewhat fragile, but man if you read these threads it almost seems like they are all doomed to fail.

I'm just hoping it is the squeeky wheels that are posting................

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dont fret. I bought a Hit 57swx 2 months ago and am happy with it. Red push can be fixed. So far, I have no problem. I just want more HD channel.

Leo

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Of course 99% of the people that buy these TV's are not here on the forums and are not complaining about their sets. This is a forum that caters to enthusiasts and perfectionists.

Regards

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think there are some problems, but you definitely hear A LOT more about them than the good experiences. For example, a post detailing how you managed to get a really good picture is lucky to get one or two replies. One that details a problem may be pages and pages long. This makes sense, though, since what are you supposed to say about a good report: "Good for you, dude!"?

Another thing to consider is that you are seeing the results of a lot of early adopters. Every new product has a "settle in" period where design and production are fine tuned.

I personally got the Tosh LCoS recently, and pretty much all of my "problems" were because I had crappy sources and bad cables. All fixed now. Other problems are due to the enormous weight of the set and that delivery guys are dropping due to the lack of good handles. This messes up the mirrors or something and gets odd purple/blue reflections on the screen. Special thanks to my Tweeter deliver guys for not dropping the set: they were BIG guys!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Look on the bright side... all those complaints keep you waiting just a little bit longer... I WILL be able to afford that "perfect" set soon! It seems that many TVs are close. The Samsungs have the no 480i->1080i inputs issue. The Sony GWIIs have the clunky speakers and should benefit from a next generation refresh.

On the other hand, I do have a bunch of DVDs that I am waiting to watch after I get my RPTV.

PS For all of you suggesting I just jump in, please come over here and explain to my wife how I am spending >$1500 today just to hold us over until next year when we'll spend another >$1500. I'd rather spend a bit more than $3500 and be done with it.

PPS My 32" toshiba is 8 years old and chugging along just fine.

...anxiously on the sideline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll give my .02 on RPTV's sucking...

I have a Mitsubishi WS-55311 RPTV. I live in Orlando and have Time Warner Cable which transmits 8 HDTV channels.

Here are my thoughts.

1. When watching an actual HDTV (16:9) broadcast the TV is perfect. It is what everyone has expected HDTV and RPTV to be. Crystal clear picture that is even better than a tube-tv. The problem with this is that CBS is the only channel that broadcasts all its prime-time shows in true HDTV. Depending on what channel you watch, and if you want to watch any standard cable channels before 8:00 at night, you most likely won’t get a 16:9 broadcast, and must watch the channel in 4:3 mode or – (see #2 below).

2. In order not to get burn-in, non-16:9 broadcasts must be watched in Standard (or “Fat-Visionâ€). It is painful to even watch. My TV began to show signs of burn-in after less than 60 days of watching non 16:9 broadcasts in the regular 4:3 mode.

3. When watching regular cable it is painful. The picture quality of cable is so bad that it makes the TV look bad. It is grainy to begin with, and with the digital circuitry of the set stretching or zooming the picture, it is even more digitized and grainy.

4. Digital channels are somewhat better than regular cable channels, but still not acceptable.

I am building a new house and my 55†will not fit well in the new room. I am in the process of selling it and deciding on what new TV to buy. I have been thinking about a 50" Samsung DLP, since there are no burn-in issues, although I think the picture will still be bad on standard cable, even though I don’t have to stretch it.

If I don’t go the DLP route, I WILL NOT GET A 16:9 TV! I think when HDTV broadcasts are all in 16:9 and more prevalent than CBS after 8:00PM it would make sense for a 16:9 TV. I do like watching DVD’s in 16:9, but I watch regular TV more than DVD.

I may end up getting a basic 36†Sony for under $1000 to use for a couple of years until HDTV is the rule instead of the exception.

I hope my experiences help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
RPTV sets, IMO, can shine when mated with a video processor. I have a Pioneer PRO-510 mated with a Key Digital Leeza, and, to my eyes, has improved all my sources (Dish network, DVD, VCR) except laserdisc. My laserdisc player isn't great to begin with and the Leeza magnifys the imperfections of this player. The Pioneer also has red push, and the Leeza has controls to help with that and blue push as well. Unforunately, the Leeza doesn't have the stretch modes of the Pioneer, and 4x3 images are stretched using the Leeza's 16x9 anamorphic mode, but since I've been watching it this way, I'm used to it.

Just my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zxe018
RPTV sets, IMO, can shine when mated with a video processor. I have a Pioneer PRO-510 mated with a Key Digital Leeza, and, to my eyes, has improved all my sources (Dish network, DVD, VCR) except laserdisc. My laserdisc player isn't great to begin with and the Leeza magnifys the imperfections of this player. The Pioneer also has red push, and the Leeza has controls to help with that and blue push as well. Unforunately, the Leeza doesn't have the stretch modes of the Pioneer, and 4x3 images are stretched using the Leeza's 16x9 anamorphic mode, but since I've been watching it this way, I'm used to it.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Please don't take this personally, but if you think spending an additional $4000 on a device to make your TV look better, then you have issues.

"Normal" people don't want to spend an extra $4000 to make a $2500+ TV look acceptable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was making a general statement about using a video processor, and backing it with personal experience. I understand people don't want to spend more $$$, but since there are much affordable processors on the market now than they were 2 years ago, I just wanted to make a suggestion to view a video processor/RPTV combo.

Everyone has their own reasons on purchasing certain equipment, and my reasons weren't to just improve my RPTV. First, I didn't pay retail for the processor, as I have a friend in the business who gave me a really good deal (much much less than my TV). Second, this will be used on my future FP system.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I dunno, my Toshiba 50hdx82 looks incredible with cable sources. I guess if you buy a set for one purpose you can't complain if it doesn't do something else well. For instance I knew going in that Tosh had one of the best cable friendly sets on the market (including stretch modes). This was important to me so I went for it, I also get the benefit from good to excellent DVD playback etc. etc.

So yes every set has their issues however like anything in life you can either get something that is the best at one thing or a good jack of all trades.

My advice to anyone getting into this stuff is to protect yourself with a good return/exchange policy and an extended warranty, thus if you have any issues along the way you will have options and be protected at least.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Go look in the direct view forum. It looks just like this one. Go look in the Front Projection forums. You'll see the same thing.

If you listen only to the uber squeekers, you'd never buy a TV period.

To be honest, there has never been anything wrong with any TV I've ever owned that a good calibration couldn't fix.

Now cars, that's another matter. :p

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't mind the sull or 'fat' mode. I'm totally used to it, and I just find myself watching more HD and less SD broadcasts.

I only have one small complaint about my 53" Panny, it seems to lose the convergence often, but no big deal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sundial2k
Please don't take this personally, but if you think spending an additional $4000 on a device to make your TV look better, then you have issues.

"Normal" people don't want to spend an extra $4000 to make a $2500+ TV look acceptable.
Guys... guys... it's not the hardware, it's the source material! Does anyone here need a reminder that analog TV is long overdue for a change? What you are looking at in most cases is what; 400 lines horizontal resolution? When this stuff was engineered in the 40's-50's, TV's were maybe 12 or 14 inches in diameter! Then color comes along in the 60's and steals some of B&W TV's original bandwidth.

So as early adopters, what are we left with?

Digital Satellite: All digital with high video compression. Limited bandwidth for future HD expansion.

Cable: Analog/digital hybrid with analog picture C/N of mid to high 40's. Many digital SD channels, generally much less compressed than their satellite brothers (cable system specific).

Off-air: Multi-path. Few channels.

OK, plug in your $$$$ TV and pick your poison....

IMO:

1- Standard def analog will not look good on any large format equipment without tons of processing.

2- Standard def digital, although better on the signal-to-noise scale than it's analog counterpart still has it's own set of issues. Digital SD on cable can be worse than a good analog signal, but is usually better on cable than satellite.

3- 36" tube is about standard definition's max, before it shows it's shortcomings. (Analog or digital)

4- Cable has the edge for HD distribution and content due to it's wider bandwidth capability vs anything else out there right now--and in the foreseeable future.

We need to stop expecting a $3000 50+" HD set to be able to produce better pictures than an analog 27 or 32 inch set---at least at this stage in their development. We're all still considered early adopters. Be glad the HD content looks as good as it does; thats what we're really paying for. Later on, our purchase dollars will roll into cheaper and better SD processors built-in, which will allow the larger sets to do a better job of hiding the imperfections of the signals they are currently provided. Unfortunately by then, non of us will be tuning to SD; we'll have enough HD content to keep us happy!

[/IMO]:p

Editors note: Proofing this, it kind of reads like a John C. Dvorak rant. :(

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
ntode,

If it gives you any reassurance - I just ordered my 3rd Samsung DLP in 4 months. No, the first two didn't go bad. Our family is so happy with the first one that we've decided to replace all CRT directview TV's in our house with Samsung DLP RPTV's.

- PQ was great right out of the box, and since then I've figured out how to make it excellent - thanks to this forum

- I have made sure to get extended warranty on all of them from a reasonably reputable retailer

- I've had no blinking lights problem. Supposedly 1 - 2% of the newly introduced sets had this problem and the remedy was to replace the lamp assembly. Hopefully, they have fixed the problem - if not its no big deal. I keep a replacement lamp for ~$200 just in case - even though its covered under warranty.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not that I'm really adding anything to this thread, but I just received my Elite 530HD yesterday and I think it's just fine. I did video essentials on the 2 inputs I'm using and it looks great. Much to my surprise, the convergence was pretty close out of the box. The red required no adjustment and the blue wasn't off by much. The stretch modes aren't bad and while I'm no "videophile", It was money well spent. My cable looked like crap before and now it's just more detailed crap. DVD's look absolutely tremendous and the overall experience is great!!!

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Unless you are prepared to deal with squeeky wheels...don't read forums! :)
Good point Marc. You will definitely hear about the problems in the forums. Remember, satisfied customers do not complain.:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Most RPTVs do indeed "suck." But they also deliver a large picture for a fair price and work with the lights on and are fairly plug and play.

Every TV on the market offers tradeoffs. Non-videophiles simply don't care enough to even realize this.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GREAT RESPONSES. Many of your comments have given me a better perspective on what my expectations should be. I have also noticed that so many here have taken time to post tweaks that will help their tv reach the next level of satisfaction.

I guess what I was forgetting is that most people just take the tv home and plug it in. Here in this forum we get people that will go to great lengths to change the tv once it is in their room.

I'm actually more excited than ever to get my new RPTV now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.