AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a Sqeezebox Duet for about $350, when I see that Apple has comeout with a free iPod Touch app. that allows you to control iTunes. I don't currently own a Touch ($299).

What are the pro's and cons of the Squeezebox Duet vs the iPod Touch from a sound quality standpoint? Is there really any difference between streaming media through a SB setup vs. playing music and controlling iTunes remotely?

I'm currently playing MP3's from Win Media Player, and would like to setup remotely for outside patio listening. My PC just has the standard soundcard that came with it, and I'm not familiar the various DAC's available. I thought I would go with the SB Duet and hook it to my amp, but now I'm confused as to which one to purchase. I don't forsee buying multiple SB receviers for multi-room listening either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you used the Touch as a remote you would still need to have a airport express in order to stream your music to your speakers... they run $99

I would say the Duet would be better quality, as it has a better DAC than the airport express. But for your situation i recommend the airport express / remote app option - as outdoor speakers really wont suffer from its lower quality.

My plans were to buy a pair of Audioengine 5s and hook them to a airport express while using the remote app on my Iphone...

BUT then i found the squeezebox - which in a stereophile review had a decent ranking. My only concern with the squeezebox is that it requires its own software and will not work with the remote app. So i think i will just stick with the airport express and maybe add a DAC later on if i am not happy...

·
Registered
508 Posts
dbryso. The squeezebox can be remotely controlled by any device with a browser and a wifi connection. You just type in the URL of the PC running the squeezecenter software.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
yes, or you can buy the duet without the remote $150 and also buy an ipod touch to use as the remote. you can use the web url to navigate the slim program or you can use ipeng, which is a program developed for the ipod touch to be used as a remote for slim device products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts