AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just started taking a look at the squeezebox product as I would like to get some audio going in my house again and have the option of whole house audtio with it.


Here are some question I have:

1. I see there is an option of using the Iphone to control Squeezebox receivers. Will this work on other phones? Currently my wife and I have Windows Mobile 6.1 based phones and I would like to use them to control squeezebox. Is this possible? How about using our laptops?


1. I have an HP MediaVault - MV 5140 currently running 24/7 and I would like the option of being able to listen to music from it. Is this possible? Can I control this using my mobile based phone i mention in 1?


3. I would like pandora, last.fm or other internet radio services. Can I control this using my mobile based phone i mention in 1?


4. Any recommendations for powered speakers? I have seen a lot of people recommend audioengine. Are there others people have used? Looking for good sound, small footprint and to have to deal with the least amount of wires as possible.


Thanks for the help.


Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson2334 /forum/post/17025702


Here are some question I have:

1. I see there is an option of using the Iphone to control Squeezebox receivers. Will this work on other phones? Currently my wife and I have Windows Mobile 6.1 based phones and I would like to use them to control squeezebox. Is this possible? How about using our laptops?

Yes, there are currently two iPhone remote control apps out there, one of them being iPeng ( www.penguinlovesmusic.com ) which I recommend since I wrote it :) So you should get a second opinion on this, both apps work fine IMHO, iPeng has the more complete set of features and functions.


For WinMobile there's an App called "SlimControl"
http://sc.sciatec.de/slimcontrol.shtml
Quote:
1. I have an HP MediaVault - MV 5140 currently running 24/7 and I would like the option of being able to listen to music from it. Is this possible? Can I control this using my mobile based phone i mention in 1?

Is this a WHS systems? There is a SqueezeCenter version for that.

With "control", do you mean you also want to use it as a player? Generally you can control any player connected to a SqueezeCenter with a remote (e.g. iPhone App) and there are various software players, for WHS you might want to use SoftSqueeze but I'm not 100% sure how to start it on WHS, I have never seen WHS.
Quote:
3. I would like pandora, last.fm or other internet radio services. Can I control this using my mobile based phone i mention in 1?

Yes.
Quote:
4. Any recommendations for powered speakers? I have seen a lot of people recommend audioengine. Are there others people have used? Looking for good sound, small footprint and to have to deal with the least amount of wires as possible.

What power class?

If it really has to be SMALL, I'd indeed also recommend Audioengine A2s (I use a pair of these in the bathroom, but they are really overkill for that).


If it's more like a living room setup, here my choice are Adam A5:
http://www.adam-audio.de/hifi/english/index.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.


Ideally what I was thinking was, my wife and I seem to carry our WinMo phones every place. I would like to be able to change tracks or sources using our phones. (I like the look of your app when doing some research on this. I don't have the option of an iphone in our area and don't own an itouch at this point). Do you know with slimcontrol if you have to have a PC running in order to use it?


the MV5140 is not a WHS system unfortunatly. It is a NAS with some DLNA functionality built in. I use my ps3 and dsm-320 to access videos from it if that helps. What i was hoping was that the squeeze box receiver would simply find this device or i point the squeezebox receiver to this device and listen to content from it. I know pandora, etc probably wont work in this instance?


As far as speakers I don't need them to have super high power as I would use them in the kitchen primarily. Our kitchen isn't that big so i can't have them taking up valuable counter space and need to be able to tuck them away or have them mounted out of the way would be the ideal situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson2334 /forum/post/17026349


the MV5140 is not a WHS system unfortunatly. It is a NAS with some DLNA functionality built in.

Right. The mv5140 has (IIRC) a Marvell processor and isn't designed to be a smart backend for a slim client like the Squeezeboxes. The mv5140 will essentially just serve up files as requested.


So, a couple of obvious options if you like the Squeezebox's features would be: (1) go with Sonos instead; or (2) get a low-powered server (e.g., an atom-based Asus EEE Box).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks as though you need to have the squeeze server running and it is sort of the middle man in this instance.


Maybe another option would be to simply buy the powered speakers and use our WinMo based phones to reference content on the MV5140 and/or Pandora if possible. Is there an appt that anyone knows of that does all of that?


Not as elegant as being able to simply turn on a squeezebox and have it instantly play but better then what we have at this point which is nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson2334 /forum/post/17026349


As far as speakers I don't need them to have super high power as I would use them in the kitchen primarily. Our kitchen isn't that big so i can't have them taking up valuable counter space and need to be able to tuck them away or have them mounted out of the way would be the ideal situation.

How about the Squeezebox Boom?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top