AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havn't posted in this section of AVS forum before but i did search the archives and existing threads for anything similar.

I'm looking to extend my media to another room in my house.

I'm currently using a ReadyNAS NV+ to host all my media including music, movies, TV show etc.

In the livingroom i'm using a Mac Mini running Plex and iTunes for all my hometheater needs but i would like to be able to play my music upstairs without using another computer.

I already have a amplifier and speakers upstairs and am currently alternating between plugin in my iphone or laptop to play music. I'm now looking for something more permanent. A few coworkers suggested a Squeezebox receiver.

From the research i've done this should integrate into my existing setup (ReadyNAS and iTunes library) hassle free. The concern i have is that i may want to upgrade my upstairs setup to have a TV in the future. So wouldn't I be better off getting a Popcorn Hour device?

Will the popcorn hour integrate with my existing setup?

How is the popcorn hour for music playback?

I'm planning on using my iphone as remote for the squeezebox. How does the PlugPlayer remote for iPhone with Popcorn hour compare?

I know there's lots of questions there but I try to get knowledgable feedback before making these kinds of purchases.

Thanks for answering any of the above!

-D

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexster /forum/post/16935884

I havn't posted in this section of AVS forum before but i did search the archives and existing threads for anything similar.

I'm currently using a ReadyNAS NV+ to host all my media including music, movies, TV show etc.

In the livingroom i'm using a Mac Mini running Plex and iTunes for all my hometheater needs but i would like to be able to play my music upstairs without using another computer.

I already have a amplifier and speakers upstairs and am currently alternating between plugin in my iphone or laptop to play music. I'm now looking for something more permanent. A few coworkers suggested a Squeezebox receiver.

From the research i've done this should integrate into my existing setup (ReadyNAS and iTunes library) hassle free. The concern i have is that i may want to upgrade my upstairs setup to have a TV in the future. So wouldn't I be better off getting a Popcorn Hour device?

I'm planning on using my iphone as remote for the squeezebox. How does the PlugPlayer remote for iPhone with Popcorn hour compare?

I know there's lots of questions there but I try to get knowledgable feedback before making these kinds of purchases.

-D

I have found that for anything other then video playback the popcornhour is rather weak. Popcornhour is not really meant to integrate with iTunes. If you are looking to integrate with Apple/iTunes probably look at AppleTV (and add the Boxee hack to remove a lot of the limitations). I can't believe I actually just recommended an AppleTV

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexster /forum/post/16935884

-D

I have all the above... Squeezebox and Duet, Macmini HTPC running XBMC etc, 11 xboxes, a popcorn hour and a slew of airport expresses...

what you want for this job is the airport express...

I was buying the G models for $60 even new N models are $100

analog and toslink out

integrates with itunes seemlessly....

you can then buy an ipod touch for $200 and use it as a remote contol.

Then you can pick music with that or with itunes and stream it to the main rig AND/or the zone 2.

multizone music playback synced is a great benefit of this setup. it works well, its cheap, you can use it also to extend the reach of your wifi if your using ethernet or it can be wireless....

and then you dont have to maintain another library in the form of squeezebox...

an SB3 is $270 at amazon. my combo is like $320 which is still less than a duet and you get a ipod touch out of it...

you can use the touch to control PLEX as well. another bonus...

I missed the part. u already have an iphone. Then its a no brainer... airport express all the way

Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a squeezebox. It works well with itunes. My itunes library is about 7,000 songs but is on a pc. The back end slimserver software has no issues with it and will completely rebuild in 10 minutes or so. Loos like it uses the itunes xml file so it has no problem with the fact that my itunes library is on another drive. I've been trying other media servers to stream my itunes to my ps3 and so far nothing comes close to the squeezebox solution. I only wish it was upnp or dnla.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The squeezebox solution you describe works pretty well. slim server works best in this way versus natively IMO... point is though for $200 less you can get the same functionality with an airport express and not even have to deal with an additional peice of backend software.... The only real advantage would be better DAC in the SB3 if you want to use analog outs...

disadvantage is that you cant synchronize whats playing on the SB3 with whats playing on the HTPC/Itunes

Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the squeezebox for a while, I don't think airport express existed when I got it. It does work really well. But admittedly I'm looking to move on. I just can't find a single media server that meets my requirements; dlna ps3 support and compatibility with itunes including playlists and album art would be a plus. Apple got anything like that yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts