AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just moved from what was essentially a new house in California to a 150-year-old house in Virginia. Back in CA, I had my theatre in the living room, which was easily big enough - 24x16 - to support a front projector and effective positions for all of the speakers.

Now that I've moved, it's looking like the best I can do is a 14x14 room carved out of what was once a root cellar. I cannot enlarge it more than a couple of inches because the walls are a foot thick, brick, load bearing and I discovered yesterday, are listed on the National Register. I was pleasantly surprised that the ceiling height was within an inch of what I had in CA, and the viewing distance is almost perfect for my existing screen (92" diagonal, 16:9).

My issue is fitting the speakers in. I think I'm OK with the fronts - M-L Aerius and Cinema, but I'm concerned about the rears. At the moment I have dipole Triad Silvers, but the prime seats are less than two feet from the back wall, so I'd guess that there would be a lot of odd reflections. Is there anything to be done about this, or do I just have to live with it? (I haven't set anythign up yet because there's going to be a ton of construction elsewhere in the house for a while.)

Normally the Triads fire forward and backward with the null oriented to the listening position. Would it be useful to rotate and angle them so that they fire over and under the listener, with the null still pointing at the listening position?

Moving the seating toward the screen probably means a new projector, as the old one is a Sharp DW100 LCD model, and the screen dooring will be excrutiating. I suppose I could spring for a new projector (I do like the Sharp XV9000) but in view of all of the other expenses, I'd prefer to hold off on that for a while.

Additionally, what about 7-channel? I have virtually no place to put the back channels without them being basically right over my head. I don't have additional speakers for these yet, so assuming it'd be worth my while to install them, I'm interested in suggestions. I'd be open to putting the Triads in the back and going with some other side surrounds (M-L Scripts?).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.