AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We (finally) got a new HD TV, a Samsung 40" Smart TV.
And a new HD cable box from Comcast.
Wow ! Incredible picture.

Now, my wife says that she would also like to dump the present tape
VCR unit that we have been using and get a DVR Recorder.
Remember those VCR tape units ! ?

Anyway, we know nothing about DVR, frankly.

Sr. Citizen now, so please put up with some dumb questions.

We want the most basic of units, I imagine.
We would only record a single channel at a time.
No need for multiple simultaneous channel recordings.

We don't need any Streaming capability.
Just a simple single channel recording of a HD or regular channel.
Perhaps 6 hours of HD capability. Practical ?

Want to be able to record as we are also watching it.

Want to be able to record in HD as well as the regular channels.

Does it make more sense to go with one of the Comcast boxes that are also
available, I think, with DVR capability ?
If so, which one, please ?

Or, one of the TiVo units that I heard about ?

I don't mind paying Comcast a bit extra per month, but the idea of being forced into a TiVo subscription for lots of stgreaming, etc., "stuff" that I don't want really bothers me.

I guess I should also as that what "one-step" up from a really "Basic" unit
would get me ?

Would really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Much thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
484 Posts
6 hours? I don't think you'll find anything that low. Lowest is probably 100 hour units. I have more like 4000 hours and still run out of space! I love my TiVo Roamio, best DVR solution on the market. But there is an initial investment. You might want to just get a DVR box from your cable provider and just pay the monthly rental fee.

The TiVo doesnt have lots of streaming stuff, in fact steaming isn't really it's strong suit. I never use it for that. If you record a lot of TV, TiVo is the solution 100%. It's for power users that want to record hundreds and thousands of hours of shows and archive them for long periods of times. It has an excellent easy to use interface. But if you want to record 6 hours of content a month, just get whatever your cable provider has. They likely will only have 1 option to pick from, so the choice will be easy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've never had a cable provider that had more than 1 DVR to choose from at a time, but it looks like Comcast does have 4. I would ask what the price difference is between their X1 DVR box and their HD DVR box. Both record HD (60 hours) and SD (300 hours). The advantage of the X1 is you can access the recordings from other TVs in your house. You can also record 4 shows at a time with X1, or 2 shows at a time with their HD DVR box. Tivo can record 6 at one time, something not useful for you from the sounds of it. If the X1 is the same price or only a couple dollars more, Id go with that one. Otherwise their regular HD DVR box will be fine for your purpose (assuming you don't need to access recordings from a bedroom TV or the like).

Reactions: clarkss12

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
If you live in the Comcast area that has Motorola boxes, I would recommend the DCX3501 since it is the most energy efficient. I would not recommend the TIVO since you also need to get a cable card and pair the cable card with TIVO which can be a bit challenging. Another option is the X1 DVR which I would recommend since the X1 interface is easier to use (at least for me) and in about a year or two I believe the X! option will be the only one available. The rental cost for the X1 DVR should be the same as a non-X1 DVR. Also with the X1 they now give you a remote you can control by voice so it makes it a lot easier to control many functions of the DVR.

·
Registered
69 Posts
another plus about going with a comcast dvr is they may have an info channel showing how to use it (directv did that, never had comcast so aren't sure they do too). seeing the same box/remote you have in your living room being demonstrated on tv would probably be a big help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts