AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to upgrade my Denon AVR-2802 to a DPIIx receiver, and have narrowed down to Marantz SR5500, Pioneer 1014TX, and Yamaha HTR-5790.

If cost is not a factor between those three, which would you recommend? 80% Movies and 20% Music.

Must have features:

1) Dolby Prologic IIx (layering over DTS is not necessary).

2) S-Video to Component conversion.

3) Pre-outs for future amp separation.

Auto calibration feature like YPAO, MCACC is nice to have (meaning Marantz needs to be head and shoulders better than the others in sound quality to win out).

I guess it may basically come down to which receiver sounds the best for mostly home theater (movie) applications.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
621 Posts
There is no one right answer to this. You should listen to them yourself. What speakers do you have?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Landroval
There is no one right answer to this. You should listen to them yourself. What speakers do you have?
I thought about this and I don't think there's any dealer near by where I can do side by side comparison. To answer your question, I have B&W FPM speakers that are currently on order.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by legend99
One thing you might want to consider too if it apply to you. The pioneer 1014 is not compatible with some dishnetwork receiver optical output to DD. See other thread.
I have Directivo, so I should be safe. BTW, another requirement I have is discrete ON/OFF remote codes but I'm sure nowadays they all have them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I havent heard the FPM series, but I really like the Marantz + B&W 600 and 700 combos. Very nice, detailed, warm and full sound. Yamaha and Pioneer might sound slightly metallic with B&W trebles.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I second the above post...seems to be a popular combo amongst co-workers

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm could 1014TX + budget Rotel amp outperform Marantz? Its lack of auto calibration feature is startinig to factor in....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what makes a receiver sound detailed, warm and full, instead of metallic? Is it the integrated amp? If so, if I'm going to get a separate amp anyway, should I just go for a receiver packed with features?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think the amp has a lot to do with the sound. I use my 1014 with an Outlaw 750. . I think of the these recievers as more of a preamp with a free cheap power amp tossed in that could come in handy if the 750 should ever blow up.

I'd say get what you want , then get a good power amp. In a few years from now, buy a different reciever with even more features, but keep the power amp.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree with dsclark. Separate amps have better SQ than receivers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.