AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the SR6007 for 1000 even (wooooo). Right now I just use DVI from my computer's GPU to my two 1080p monitors. Would it be possible to send all audio and video over a single (or even dual) hdmi cable and then go HDMI output to the monitors using both HDMI outputs? I dont really know what the point of doing such a thing would be. i was just curious.

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
Both HDMI outputs of the SR6007 get their signals from the same input device. A common usage is when the receiver is used to drive both a TV and a projector.

You'd need to upgrade to a receiver or pre/pro which supports sending HDMI to two different zones. E.g. the Denon AVR 4520 receiver or Marantz av8801 pre/pro. I haven't seen any reports of someone trying this with a computer, but I think it should work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did find a small workaround. I can set HDMI on my gpu as either main or secondary display. Then I can send that + audio to the SR6007. With the SR6007, I can set it to passively output whatever is on one connection, in this case the one from my GPU. The other monitor is connected via DVI. Now, if i turn off the receiver, after a rather unflattering session of the screens blinking and figuring out what is going on, both screens display the same data.

I also set both monitors to SRGB colorspace. This makes them both match up almost perfectly in terms of color. Any color adjustment can be done through windows color profiles.

The only thing i havent figured out is the proper HDMI audio configuration for my computer. 5.1, dts, and dolby source files play correctly on the receiver. They are sent to the receiver as 5.1 PCM 3/2/.1, DTS 3/2/.1, or Dolby 3/2/.1, respectively. But 2.0 channel audio is also sent to the receiver as 3/2/.1 PCM unless I use wasapi (and in that case it is correctly sent as 2/0/.0). 2.0 source files are the only thing that arent sent to the receiver correctly at this point.

For the time being im just using s/pdif and dts-interactive from my sound card as I only have 5.1 and dont need the hdmi audio yet.

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
Different player software packages handle HDMI audio differently. Some just use the default HDMI configuration, so if the HDMI playback device is set to 7.1, when you play a stereo source, audio is sent just to the right and left channels leaving the other 6 channels silent. Others override the configuration and send stereo as a two-channel signal. I know VLC (which is what I normally use) just uses the default configuration. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with other players to know which does what.

I'm sure you'll get more detailed answers if you post your question in the HTPC forum. http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see VLC doing that. MPC-HC also does that for me right now, although I have tried disabling all internal filters and such. Musicbee does it by default unless you tell it to do wasapi.

What doesnt make sense is that it shouldnt be sending a 3/2/.1 stream with the blank channels still there. It should be sending a PCM 2/0/.0 stream. Also, in vLC when i set the output device to stereo, it still uses the default 5.1 channels. Very weird. I'll try posting in that thread, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts