AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm running a SR6200 Marantz receiver. I thought something was wrong after watching a few movies in 5.1, basically it didn't sound 5.1 it sounded more stereo. The Dolby Digtal light shows up with all the speaker channels. I then popped in LOTR and chose DTS and it sounded much much better, louder too for some reason. I left Source Direct off, set fronts/center/rear to Large, and turned off Surround Center and Sub since I don't have those. Using Athena ASF2 fronts, ASC1 Center, ans ASB2 surrounds. I screwed around with the DVD player a bit, and the receiver and can't seem to figure out why 5.1 sounds like stereo.

· Banned
5,866 Posts
If I were you I'd set surrounds to small 80hz. ASF2 fronts to 40hz. ASC1 to 60hz. They're not full-range speakers.

Have you calibrated your system with a radio shack sound pressure meter? Disabled any dynamic range compression in Dolby Digital? Set the DVD player to bitstream digital out for DD? DTS is louder, so turn it down a turn a few dB to be equal in level. Are you're sure you've selected the Dolby Digital 5.1 track? (Dolby Digital 2.0 mixes will still light up as Dolby Digital, only come from L/R, unless Pro-Logic is selected)

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by fatbottom
If I were you I'd set surrounds to small 80hz. ASF2 fronts to 40hz. ASC1 to 60hz. They're not full-range speakers.

Have you calibrated your system with a radio shack sound pressure meter? Disabled any dynamic range compression in Dolby Digital? Set the DVD player to bitstream digital out for DD? DTS is louder, so turn it down a turn a few dB to be equal in level. Are you're sure you've selected the Dolby Digital 5.1 track? (Dolby Digital 2.0 mixes will still light up as Dolby Digital, only come from L/R, unless Pro-Logic is selected)
I haven't got around to calibrating it with a sound pressure meter. I originally had the only the fronts set to large and the rest to small. Sounded even worse. On the DVD player the only option I saw was DD - DD or DD - PCM. I left it on DD. And I double checked to make sure I had DD selected on the DVD player.

PS. How do you set the speakers to specific frequency on this receiver?

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Edvard_Grieg
You won't be able to, I believe Marantz only goes down to 80hz for the crossover. I would check your source though too, are you sure it is playing the dolby digital track off the dvd?
Pretty sure. I cycled through the audio tracks on the dvd player.

· Registered
799 Posts
A friend of mine had nothing but problems with his SR7200. These were very noticeable problems, not something minor.

He went through three different units before he actually got one that worked properly and thankfully, as they say, the third time was the charm.

I just think that Marantz really dropped the ball on quality control... I would never purchase anything made by them because of this.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shiznit
A friend of mine had nothing but problems with his SR7200. These were very noticeable problems, not something minor.

He went through three different units before he actually got one that worked properly and thankfully, as they say, the third time was the charm.

I just think that Marantz really dropped the ball on quality control... I would never purchase anything made by them because of this.
Damnit, I'll be really pissed if it's the receiver. I just returned a Yamaha 2400, didn't bother opening it to try out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.