AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up 4 4" Alpine Type-s speakers for my doors recommended by memphis, and on my own I picked out a pair of MB Quart ptk-40's...

These will be powered by a Clarion APX 4240.

Will I hear issues in my highs - having a separate pair of tweeters running along with my 2-way door speakers which also have a tweeter in them?

Thanks guys,

-Chris

·
Registered
302 Posts
you will be fine....i see many guys run different tweeters or extra tweeters. Cars all sounded great. A good thing about the mb quart tweeters is they have a selectable 0dB, -3dB and 6 dB control. Which will allow you to balance out the mb quarts to you liking

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Keep the crossovers available. Easy to reach. I am assuming you will be installing the tweets in the dash? I am unfamiliar with your cars speaker locations. The addition of tweets on your dash can help raise your soundstage. Due to how our hearing works, height cues come from high frequencies. So having the second set up on the dash should help raise your soundstage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question guys,

If I am going to run 4x alpine sps-400 in my doors and a pair of MB Quart ptk 40's, how should I power them?

I guess my real question is do I need 2 amps? or just one powerful one if I just tied into the front speakers lines for the tweets?

Any recommendations on amps is welcome also, Thanks guys.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I thought you mentioned an amp already... But anyway, Not sure of your set up, look for a 4 channel or a six channel. power and budget needs are relative. So more info is needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did, I have a Clarion apx4240, just not sure if I should use it for my setup (will it be strong enough) or B) do I NEED a 6 ch amp cuz of the tweets or is it okay to just split the front lines into the tweets because they have thier own little crossover box??

I am not really concerned about money right now, I am just trying to figure out what setup is best and they go from there....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
OK,

just looked up the speakers and amp. The speakers are SPS-400 unless I am wrong. I could not find SRS-400 from alpine.

These are a 4" coax.

So adding extra tweeters is going to definitely brighten things up!! Plus do not expect much midbass with these. They are only 4" after all.

The amp is a 60X4 with crossover so it should power your set up fine. My son has a similar powered Clarion ProAudio powering his interior speakers. Does the job fantastically. So answering your question is I don't believe you will need anything else. The Clarion should handle the speakers you mentioned fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, sps-400, my mistake.

Thanks a ton for your advice, I will be sure to let you know how it goes!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I know there willl be NO bass whatsoever from these little babies.. Got the 12"s in the trunk for that, just needed your help for that crisp sound I still need.

And again,

Thanks a TON!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.