AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy but I think I have come up with a way to seriously void my show stopper's warrenty. What I'm lookin at doing is some liquid cooling for my currently unhacked unit. I'm on the hunt for a fanless power supply I can replace the stock one with, then I'm going to take a thermal picture of the show stopper's board and cool everything that is hot. I'll dump the waste heat into my garage.

What do you think? Also, question on the power supply. Is it an AT or ATX unit. Does anyone have the specs on the dimentions of the PS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Just make sure that the SS isn't plugged in when you dip it into the vat of ice water...:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by firefighter
I'm on the hunt for a fanless power supply I can replace the stock one with... Also, question on the power supply. Is it an AT or ATX unit. Does anyone have the specs on the dimentions of the PS?
Seriously firefighter I wouldn't mind upgrading the power supply but it's neither AT or ATX it connects with 6 pins... haven't checked what the other 2 leads are. I always give my 7.5 volt cooling fans their own AC to DC supply inside the unit. Started doing that after I noticed on a one drive unit with (2 )12 volt craft fans (hooked into the power supply) every time I was spinning down the drive the fan pitch would ramp back up (the power supply has no off) This was a sign of varying voltage and you know what that can do in a computer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
I always give my 7.5 volt cooling fans their own AC to DC supply inside the unit.
What are the parts you use for your fan supply? Circuitry/connections? I was just going to hang some uP fans off the main PS, but your post has me concerned now...

David.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
David I will try to post some pictures next time I have one open. What I used was just old AC adapters (I have a big box of these from things like old discmans, network hubs, etc just about any dc voltage I might want) I first went this direction when I was looking for a custom voltage for quieter fans for the master bedroom unit. In trying the combinations avail from PS 5v was not quite enough airflow, the 7 volt trick is pretty solid but I noticed when I had 3 fans and 2 drives the original power supply was getting even hotter than before if you can imagine that!! Then I discovered on another unit (@ that time single drive unit with only 2 fans) that the fans sped up noticeably only when the drive was powered down (disk spindown). OK you can never have too much headroom in your power supplies I learned this from many pee cee's and the voltage must be stable (Enermax PS anyone?) Well the key here is not to generate any more heat in that small space and I've found that higher amp AC adapters (like one from an old dead syquest drive) didn't even get warm powering my fans. And @ least I know the drives and MOBO are the only things pulling from the built in PS. The reason I wanted the fans powered from inside the box was just so they would never come unplugged overheat. I also paid close attention to airflow and my units are solid and quiet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.