AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have encountered a problem with my HTPC. When I installed the build of Windows 7 on my HTPC I was not able to install it on my SSD. I installed in on my internal hard drive instead. I know running windows on your SSD makes the computer run faster, but is there anyways to transfer Windows 7 to the SSD without starting windows over and installing it on the SSD and replacing it with the internal hard drive so that the internal hard drive can just be a storage drive?

·
Registered
664 Posts
You should be able to install W7 directly on your SSD without any problems. If you're having a problem doing that, I'd suggest you troubleshoot that (rather than try to move the data) something is not right.

You can move the data with a program like "Ghost". It will pick up the entire drive and make an image that can then be applied to your SSD. I always would suggest a direct install on the SSD (rather than a Ghost), but it should work without issues to Ghost it to the SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120
I think I might have encountered a problem with my HTPC. When I installed the build of Windows 7 on my HTPC I was not able to install it on my SSD. I installed in on my internal hard drive instead. I know running windows on your SSD makes the computer run faster, but is there anyways to transfer Windows 7 to the SSD without starting windows over and installing it on the SSD and replacing it with the internal hard drive so that the internal hard drive can just be a storage drive?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Make sure the SSD is the only drive plugged into board during install.

Best bet is to do a clean install.

Using software to clone drive will work ...but things don't always work when finished.

There is also an image alignment issue.

I installed Kingston SSD using supplied cloning software and windows back up no longer functioned.

So I went a head and did a clean install.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred /forum/post/0

Make sure the SSD is the only drive plugged into board during install.

Best bet is to do a clean install.

Using software to clone drive will work ...but things don't always work when finished.

There is also an image alignment issue.

I installed Kingston SSD using supplied cloning software and windows back up no longer functioned.

So I went a head and did a clean install.

Do I have to erase all the data off my internal hard drive or just erase windows off of it?

·
Registered
537 Posts
is this SSD in some kind of external enclosure? how is it interfaced to your board?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
put win 7 on a flash drive and it will install super fast on an ssd.

when you go to erase windows off that other drive it wont work because it will say there are system files. you will probably have to move whatever files you want off of there and then format it and move them back.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/0

put win 7 on a flash drive and it will install super fast on an ssd.

when you go to erase windows off that other drive it wont work because it will say there are system files. you will probably have to move whatever files you want off of there and then format it and move them back.

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'm going to have to just start clean

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 /forum/post/19634979

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'm going to have to just start clean

No, you don't.

Windows 7 has a great Backup and Restore feature, use that.

Attach an external drive or shrink your current drive as much as possible so that the OS is on a separate partition.

Create a system image file of your current installation. Use the empty space or the external drive for storing the image

At the end of the image creation, it will prompt you to burn a restore boot disc. Pop in a CD/DVD and create that disc.

Turn off and install the SSD.

Boot the computer using the disc.

It will search for bootable image files and ask you if you want to restore your system using that image. Select the backed up image file that was created earlier and choose your target (the SSD).

If all goes well, in a few minutes you will have your current OS on your new SSD.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/0

No, you don't.

Windows 7 has a great Backup and Restore feature, use that.

Attach an external drive or shrink your current drive as much as possible so that the OS is on a separate partition.

Create a system image file of your current installation. Use the empty space or the external drive for storing the image

At the end of the image creation, it will prompt you to burn a restore boot disc. Pop in a CD/DVD and create that disc.

Turn off and install the SSD.

Boot the computer using the disc.

It will search for bootable image files and ask you if you want to restore your system using that image. Select the backedup image file that was created earlier and choose your target (the SSD).

If all goes well, in a few minutes you will have your current OS on your new SSD.

Good Luck.

Ok, thanks. I'll let you know if it works

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I cloned my 160GB SATA drive onto my 120GB SSD, I used proportional mode. This reduced the 100MB boot partition to 70MB and this caused the WHS backup to always fail. I probably could of done it again and this time made sure that the boot partition wasn't shrunk but only the C drive was

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hirent isnt it just easier/faster and overall better to just install a clean version of windows? All that other stuff seems like its going to take way longer. I can be on my desktop in 25-30 minutes it might even be under 20 minutes installing from a flash drive to a SSD with both of my computers that have them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/19637227

Hirent isnt it just easier/faster and overall better to just install a clean version of windows? All that other stuff seems like its going to take way longer. I can be on my desktop in 25-30 minutes it might even be under 20 minutes installing from a flash drive to a SSD with both of my computers that have them.

If you haven't tried the Image and Recovery Disc tools now in Windows 7 you don't know what your misssing. Once your system is setup the way you want, make Image Disc's or save the Image to another HDD and a Recovery Disc. It couldn't be easier to get backup and running. This way you don't have to go through the whole process of updating and loading all your programs with a fresh install. This has replaced Acronis True Image for me. Great utility included with Win 7 that works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.