AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came from CC and BB. I want a bigger TV than my current 42" Panny plasma and wanted to take a look at several of the RPTV's that people on these forums speak so highly of. I looked at Samsungs, Mits, JVC, Sony, Hitachi, etc. The SSE on every single one of them is just about unbearable to me. I loved just about everything with the picture of the 1080p Samsungs, Mits and JVC's and Sony's. But I believe the SSE is a deal breaker for me.

How are you guys not seeing it? Do you really not see it, or is it just not a distraction. I mentioned SSE to the guy at CC and he didn't know what I was talking about. I tried to point it out to him but he didn't seem to see it. If you really can't see it, you are really lucky. I just don't understand how anyone with decent vision can't see it.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn34 /forum/post/0

I just came from CC and BB. I want a bigger TV than my current 42" Panny plasma and wanted to take a look at several of the RPTV's that people on these forums speak so highly of. I looked at Samsungs, Mits, JVC, Sony, Hitachi, etc. The SSE on every single one of them is just about unbearable to me. I loved just about everything with the picture of the 1080p Samsungs, Mits and JVC's and Sony's. But I believe the SSE is a deal breaker for me.

How are you guys not seeing it? Do you really not see it, or is it just not a distraction. I mentioned SSE to the guy at CC and he didn't know what I was talking about. I tried to point it out to him but he didn't seem to see it. If you really can't see it, you are really lucky. I just don't understand how anyone with decent vision can't see it.

I think there are two factors. First, SSE can be toned down by properly calibrating the set. Torch mode in the stores accentuates SSE. The second factor is mind over matter -- that is, what you let your brain focus on. If you let your brain focus on SSE, you will be bothered by it. IF you let your brain focus on the content of the program, SSE will not bother you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 /forum/post/0

I think there are two factors. First, SSE can be toned down by properly calibrating the set. Torch mode in the stores accentuates SSE. The second factor is mind over matter -- that is, what you let your brain focus on. If you let your brain focus on SSE, you will be bothered by it. IF you let your brain focus on the content of the program, SSE will not bother you.

Yeah, I wish I had some friends that had recent models of RPTV's that were calibrated so I could test those with my eyes. But I think my problem is more explained by your second point. I initially did not see SSE until I saw a mostly white screen at BB or CC. But once I saw it once, now I see it in everything. Today I was watching a Blu-Ray DVD of the Fantastic 4. There was a scene with a bald guy outside. The reflection off of his head created a white area on the screen. The SSE on that white area just pulled my attention away from the movie.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Calibrating the TV lowers occurances. You are viewing them in torch mode with the contrast out of control.

You also might be standing too close at someplace like BB or CC.

I notice it on my LCD RPTV every once in awhile, especially with large patches of solid brights or whites. Cingular commercials or the Apple/PC have big white screens in the background and can cause some flashies.

Trade off in having a large, cheap, light television set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman /forum/post/0

Calibrating the TV lowers occurances. You are viewing them in torch mode with the contrast out of control.

You also might be standing too close at someplace like BB or CC.

Trade off in having a large, cheap, light television set.

I did get a tape measure and was watching most of the sets from 9-10 feet which will be my viewing distance at home. Another thing specific to me that I worry about is that I am a huge hockey fan (Atlanta Thrashers season ticket holder) and love watching it in high def. I don't know if the large sheet of white ice is going to be watchable for me if the SSE is that bad.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman /forum/post/0

I would look towards DLP sets then, or even plasma.

I've turned it to hockey on HD and have to turn down the brightness a bit or SSE is more noticeable.

DLP won't work as 1/2 the sets that I looked at today (Samsung, Mits) and saw bad SSE were DLP. Looks like for me the only choice is plasma. Which is Ok...I love my current Panny plasma. But I was hoping I could get a 55-60" 1080p set that I could be happy with for

·
Registered
453 Posts

Quote:

DLP won't work as 1/2 the sets that I looked at today (Samsung, Mits) and saw bad SSE were DLP. Looks like for me the only choice is plasma. Which is Ok...I love my current Panny plasma. But I was hoping I could get a 55-60" 1080p set that I could be happy with for

I rather have SSE than SDE.

My 2 pixel.

cheezz

·
Registered
197 Posts
 http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

I just purchased this TV, and i'm sitting about 12' away. SSE is bad, not too bad on the whole screen but in the middle it is really bad. On madden, playing a white uniform I can see it because when your about to hike the ball the players are in the middle of the screen.

The UPS Whiteboard commercials make me want to castrate myself with a nailclipper.

I am running the TV on "Standard" Mode.

I tried doing a basic calibration with Lion King 1 and a half, and with the contrast test, I saw every shade of white the same on -30 to +30 contrast, just the latter was brighter.

So I dunno, when I set the contrast to 5 on cinema mode I still see it.

Maybe it's because Panasonic just doensn't do very well beyond their plasma.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can see SDE on a 46" Sony LCD from 10' sometimes with certain colors behind it, and if I really look for it, but I also have REALLY good eyesight.

I can say that it is basically a total non factor.

I find the SSE much much much more annoying. I'm pretty sure I'll go DLP or LCoS on the next set I buy (65"+ for a media room).

·
Registered
51 Posts
To me the Sony had the least amount while looking at the store. The Samsung next to it was pretty bad, but it was at full contrast and in vivid (or whatever they call it). Once the sales guy took it off vivid for me it was much improved, even at 6' (with the contrast at full still). I bet with better tweaking it could be very tolerable to folks that aren't super sensitive.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Personally I see it on all of them as well. Which is why I ended up with a rpcrt hdtv.

Sure, usually you can live with it or make it better but I didnt feel like I should. I would own a DLP or LCD right now if not for SSE and SDE.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:

Plasma TV's suffer from phosphor burn in if not properly maintained. They also reflect everything like a mirror.

It seems every form of big screen technology has its own inherent weakness.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
sde = screen door effect

sse = ???

I have a 56" toshiba. I can see pixels if I look for them. For example I was watching ICE age II. I can see pixels if I look for the pixels and move my head looking at bright colors. It bothers me sometimes but if Im not looking for them its a nonissue.

Is that an example of sse or sde? I would think that sde would be a bit more dramatic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had pretty much the same experience as the OP. I spent quite a bit of time at BB, asked for the remotes for the JVC DiLA, Sony SXRD, Pioneer Plasma, and Mits DLP sets and played with all of them for a while. The sales staff was kind enough to leave me alone and let me "eyeball in" the pics on all of them.

What I found was that ALL the fixed pixel displays have some sort of SDE of SSE. No amount of picture tweaking would minimize it enough to be acceptable to me, or even tolerable to me. I was really quite disappointed to find this, because I went in fully intending to buy the 61" JVC. It DID have the least objectionable distraction to my eye, as I expected from L-CoS, but it still was annoying. I felt as though I was watching all the little mirrors flickering, and it just dominated the experience for me.

The plasma, and the LCD sets (which I did not seriously consider or tweak), lost my interest rather quickly, as the SDE was just too apparent, even at 12 feet! I was really surprised by that! My Tosh 30" direct-view CRT has less visible dot structure at 6 feet!

So, I decided not to buy anything new at this time. Instead I'll spend some $$ to clean and retune my 6 year old Pioneer Elite Pro 510 rpcrt. All I can say is: it's a shame that CRT is going/has gone away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Would sse be less on a smaller set (within the same line ) from the same viewing distance? I ask only because it seems to be a an artifact of the screen material which would suggest that if you can see it at 9 feet on a 56 inch set, you will see it just as much on a 50 inch set also from 9 feet since the too would have the same screen material.

Anybody know?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.