AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a surround sound processor which would be a "Level 6" according to the FAQ on this forum.

I want to be able to bitstream 7.1 PCM from my HTPC's output (for a degree of future-proofing).

I know there's a list of equipment which will do this but my question is more subjective. I'm looking to use this system for mostly music (85%) so music performance is paramount. Are there any SSP's which are particularly good for music?

I had a Cary Cinema 11 for a while which I sold due to some unresolved software glitches (mainly regarding bass management). I was thinking of going for the Cary Cinema 11a but wanted to see what other people had to say.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
ill bite, If you have been happy overall with the cary then go for the11a they seem to have worked out most of the bugs, I dont think theres another ssp that can compete musically with the cary with the exception of the B&k ref 70 but the future unkown

the only other musical ssps that ive heardare nearly double that in price!

if im missing something someone chime in

let us know what route you decide to go, bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking that I may go with the cary cinema 11a but I'm not sure if they worked out the bugs with the bass management yet. There were some features on the Cinema 11 that were completely broken. I can't believe they didn't fix something as basic as bass management on the cinema 11. That being said, the unit put out a CRYSTAL clear sound. Sounded great. Unfortunately the Cinema 11a used runs about 2.5x the price of the Cinema 11 which feels like a bit much.

It also doesn't have HDMI 1.4 but I don't think that'll matter since I can just send 2 different HDMI signals from my HTPC, one to the Cary & one to my TV.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
you can certainly try the marantz av7005 pre pro, it seems to be a great piece for the money. I cant tell you if it will sound as good as the 11a, but the price is right.

Im actually going to home demo the 11a soon just waiting for my dealer to get one in, in the mean time you should ask about the bass managment question on the 11a thread maybe someone there can confirm that for you.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

i like my av7005...

"sounds" as good (i.e. highly unlikely i could differentiate it in a blind test) as previous units i've owned, including a susano...

bonus... it actually works...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts