AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the heat of Summer! June is here, and it's time for a new St. Louis area HD thread.

For any newcomers, here are the old threads for easy reference:

May

April

March

February

January

Just for a topic starter, can we hear from anyone that got their HDTV ISF calibrated by CraigM on his recent St. Louis tour?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for posting the June thread. I did not get an ISF calibration, and was wondering if there is anyone in Saint Louis who does this. A while back I went to the ISF website, and there was a person in Saint Louis, but when I called him he said his name and company should be removed from the ISF website, and said he does not do individual televisions, but will only do ISF calibration on very expensive custom installs. So, if there is anyone out there, I would like to know who does ISF calibration.

Also, has anyone bought a JVC30k recorder yet?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ray-

I couldn't find anyone either to ISF. But I saw a posting on here (avsforum) about 6 months ago about a tour comming to St. Louis. The first tour got canceled :mad: but the calibrator felt so bad he started a second one. I'm scheduled again for July 12th. I'd watch on this board and Keohi site for future tours. That seems the way to go if your in St. Louis.

BTW- I too would love to check out a D-Theater set up. I was pretty ho-hum on it all until I realized the bandwidth was higher on it than on broadcast TV (28.2 versus 19.1?). I still think in the long run it will be like the laser disc but who knows if or when HD-DVD will ever happen and it might wind up being a lower bandwidth then broadcast.

-g

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Greg,

I am afraid that the D-Theater business will be small enough to make Laser Disk look like a mainstream success. "All dressed up and nowhere to go." I doubt that there will ever be enough software to make the thing fly. I was considering getting a player until I heard the magic number "5." How can anything be started with so little software and such a slim chance of much more becoming available? Hope I am dead wrong. Art

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I thought I heard that Best Sound had access to an ISF tech. Don't think he was local but he does travel to STL periodically. If enough people wanted a calibration, I am sure we could get somebody to come around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm certainly not opposed to calling Best Sound, though I've never bought anything from them, and I don't know if I would get the "cold shoulder" treatment. Has anyone on this board bought from them, and if so, could you call them to see if we can get an ISF calibrator here to Saint Louis? I see from Greg's response that he has someone coming in July. Hope it all goes well.

I went to Ultimate in Fenton just to look at the JVC 30k player. Their price was $1,499.00 (ugh!) They had it hooked up to a Sony. Though I didn't get the model, it cost around $7,000.00. Plasma, maybe? Of course all they had was the demo tape, but the picture was very, very good. And, since it was hooked to a Sony, they had to use component analog cables. I'm still wondering if the player is connected by firewire (which of course I don't have) to the tv is the picture quality better then connection by component cables. I read elsewhere on the AVS forum that it shouldn't matter. I told the sales rep (after asking me if I wanted a bottle of water - again) that if I was serious about purchasing the JVC I would want them to move it to their Sony (kv40xbr700) similar to mine and that I would want to see it in action on that tv. He looked at me as if I was crazy and said nothing, then walked away. Does anyone know of any other dealers selling the JVC where the price is below $1,500.00, and they might hook it up to a television similar to mine?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey I just got my Mits 55809 tv with Hughes HIRD-E86 high definition with the oval dish last week. I love it. Can someone please tell me when the heck channel ABC 30 is gonna carry things in High Definition.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jefftra-

No one knows when ( or more likely IF) our local ABC will ever pass through the national HD feed. They are digital but they are owned by the Sinclair group that fought 8VSB HD broadcast standard. Also, our local affiliate is close to being broke - they canceled local evening news as a cost savings.

So, even though ABC nationally has some great HD programming including the Bond movies, Indiana Jones movies, Alias, and more - we may never see it.

There is the hope as more and more people get HD tv's the the local will eventually have to bow to pressure and buy the equipment to pass through the signal.

Have fun with your new toy and watch a bunch of CBS and HDNet.

-Greg

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree. The key word is PRESSURE. So far, they haven't gotten any. The HD owners in Sacramento were successful in pressuring the Sinclair CBS affiliate there to go HD over a year ago by writing letters, staging protests, etc. It worked. I think it will take us getting more organized and vocal to have any chance at getting ABC in HD, unless some "white knight" comes along and buys KDNL away from Sinclair. I have personally written ABC and Sinclair trying to get somewhere, but with no response. Well, someone from ABC called me and said that the station would be doing HD by May 1, but that was obviously a lie!

I have been too busy job-hunting after getting laid-off in March to devote any more time to this. (Amazing how lack of employment can change your priorities in a hurry . Anyone with leads in the Information Technology sector, please send me a Private Message!)

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was scanning channels on my dst-3000 and noticed 47-1 had a signal again. When I checked the video they have HSN, but no audio can any else confirm the audio. Also when is the station supposed to change over to UPN

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
No audio on 47-1 for me either. There's not anything worth watching on that channel anyway. It figures that WHSL-HSN would go digital before KPLR-WB. As Art has said, Bell Expressvu might be the only way we can receive ABC HDTV anytime soon.

Andrew

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you want to feel inadequate about your Home theater set up, the Screening Room just opened in Frontenac at the intersection of Lindbergh and Clayton.

Very impressive displays. Not exactly for the value oriented (i.e cheap) like me.

We are starting to get quite a nice collection of stores which cater to the home theater enthusiast in St. Louis. Sound Room, Best Sound, Hi-fi-fo-fum, Ultimate Electronics and now the Screening Room.

There must be a significant number of Home theater owners who don't care much about the details, and just want a turnkey home theater they can enjoy, and don't mind paying extra for a professional to do the installation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
rschneider,

in addition to those you listed you should check out Music For Pleasure, mostly an audio store, but their new location has a couple of theater rooms with really good sounding HT systems. Krell, Martin Logan, Meridian, Arcam, and more. They have a few Marantz RP's and a few FP systems running too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been fighting with multipath ever since spring. I used to have good reception (80-90 range in my Toshiba DST-3000) in winter. But since spring, none of the channels were watchable because of multipath problem. I can't watch anything longer than 5 sec without a dropout and pixelation.

I have been switching antennas, from double bow-tie, to RS's UHF only, and lastly to RS's VU-90XR, without much success. Roof top is not an option. I can only put it in the attic. The signal strenth just keeps bouncing from 70s to 90s.

Just minutes ago, I turned on the TV and checked the signals as usual. Wow! Much to my surprise, every channel (except ch 31) reached 100% strenth. Ch. 35, 43, and 56 are all 100%, 47 is 30%, and ch 31 is absolute 0. What's going on? I know there was a storm today. Did it magically align my antenna, or knocked out something that has been causing the multipath problem. It is too late in the night. I will climb up the attic tomorrow to check if anything changed to the antenna.

Now for the first time since spring, I can watch digital channels again without a single dropout. Boy, I can't be happier. Whatever that is, I hope it will last. BTW, I am in O'Fallon, MO.

AW

·
Registered
364 Posts
FYI KDNL is installing a new higher power digital transmitter which failed last night. They probably will be switching between low and high power until problems get resolved.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdiehl
Just for a topic starter, can we hear from anyone that got their HDTV ISF calibrated by CraigM on his recent St. Louis tour?
Responding to my own post, for someone else.....

Just got an email from "KeithG", who for some reason is not able to get logged in to post this himself. I'll cut/paste from the email he sent me on his ISF experience from CraigM:

----------------------------

I had a second to get back into the AVS St Louis thread (I think I'm 3

months behind ), I jumped right to June to see if KDNL ABC was ever

going to go HD. I saw that your topic starter was asking about CraigM

calibrations. I had a minute (just one) to type a post, but my password is

forgotten, or expired, or both,. so no joy there. Sorry.

In brief, it was an excellent day, with results that are not staggering (my

out-of-box-and-tweaked-by-me picture wasn't too terrible to begin with),

but they are very noticeable. Worth the money, I think. I see an amazing

YELLOW for the first time ever. Red push is gone. Color decoder errors

(in HD, etc) are fixed. The Mits main menu looks Tan, not Mauve. Overscan

was at maybe 7-8% on one side, now all are at 4.5%. Geometry is perfect (I had some flagging at the top). I had a "screen imperfection" that I may

have discussed at AVS, I know I commiserated with a few on the SPot about it, anyway it was dirt that had accumulated along the bottom of the screen, making a "wrinkle" about 3 feet long about 4 inches from the bottom of the screen. Craig took the 3 screens/lenses APART, and cleaned inside them. He also took my one gun (blue, I think) competely apart to remove some overspray shadow that he saw (where Mits paints the edges of the 7" optics black, but had paint overspray). Etc etc. I don't have time to do it justice, but I'm very satisfied. It will keep me out of the service menus for a couple years, and I won't have to read 50,000 messages about geometry/grey scale/convergence/manual focus procedures/etc/etc. I know mine is perfect for quite a while. :)

-------------------------

WOW. That sounds like quite alot of service for your buck. This is the kind of stuff that I would want out of an ISF service call. Hopefully I'll be able to catch Craig on his next St. Louis run!

Anyone else get an ISF done recently?

·
Registered
120 Posts
WRacer-

Any Hope KDNL (ABC)when they replace the digital transmitter will do something more????

Jon-

My calibration is scheduled for July 12th. I can't wait. I'll try to give a calibration report when it actually happens.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You have to question why KDNL would install a new high power digital transmitter and not pass through ABC HDTV. KDNL's digital upconvert is marginally better (at best) than its analog counterpart. I think KDNL's viewership will declinine at an even faster rate when Charter offers the STL digital channels. KDNL's lack of HDTV support will be magnified once a crtical mass of viewers can easily receive local digital stations. KMOV, KTVI and KSDK clearly value local viewers by passing through HD and ED feeds. It may take several years, but I think that cable carriage will force KDNL to pass through HDTV. Honestly, I think ownership of KDNL will change hands before this occurs.

Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I am a frequent visitor of the *************** forum, but with some small prodding from Jon D., I decided to pay this forum a visit. I live in Ballwin, off of Manchester Rd, and have had my Mitsubishi WS55809 since March. After reading and doing many tweaks to it, including cleaning the screen and top of the lenses, manual and electrostaic focus, geometry, convergence, set avm, adjusting levels with Avia, installing duvetyne, etc., I had my set looking pretty good. But, there were still a few little things that bothered me. When I installed the duvetyne, I noticed that there was some small pieces of "junk" on the inside of the CRT lenses. I cleaned the outside of the lenses, and used compressed air to try and clean under them as much as possible, but I didn't want to take the apart, not without knowing exactly what I was doing. Also, although I had fixed the "red push" with an attenuator, I really wanted the color decoder fixed inside the TV, so the fix would be permanent and on all inputs. Finally, since I didn't have the equipment or experience to set grayscale, I really wanted this done so my blacks would really be true black, without making the rest of the screen too dark.

I initially started looking locally for an ISF, and through the ISF website, found links to several in the area. I called a few "authorized" dealers, including The Sound Room. When I asked them what they performed during the calibration, they told me that they only basically set everything via Avia. So, I called around some more, found a guy who could do the ISF grayscale and color. He was going to charge $250 for just that. When I asked him about other things like focus and convergence, and lens cleaning, he paused, then finally replied that he "guessed" he could do that for some extra charge. He told me he needed to call a few people and check on some things for my particular TV, and that he would get back to me. He never did call back. I could have tried calling him again, but if that was the level of "effort" he was going to exert, I really didn't think he was the guy I wanted working on my TV. So finally, after much reading, I decided to contact CraigM. At first $750 seemed a lot for a calibration, but after considering everything he does to the TV compared to the other calibrators, it then didn't seem so much. Also, considering I bought the TV for $2399, and adding $750 would give me a TV that looks as good or better than many TV's at twice the cost I decided it was definitely worth a try. Please note CraigM is NOT ISF certified, but I could really care less. He knows Mitsu's as well or better than anyone.

Now for my CraigM experience. From my early conversations with him on the phone and from emails, I could already tell he was a very nice guy. He and Sue pulled in around 9:30 am in their large RV, and upon meeting him, this was confirmed. He and Sue are great people, easy to get along with, and very down to earth. I have to say he did not look exactly as I expected. I half expected to see a geek-like character with huge glasses. Instead, a long haired (but professional looking) gentleman, with hints of American Indian (?) background stepped out of the RV. Anyway, he and Sue almost immmediately started unloading their equipment and only after a few short minutes they were working on the TV. He went through everything, taking time to wipe the mirror no less than 7 times, cleaning the lenses on top, then taking them out and cleaning them underneath. He touched up a piece of duvetyne for me and did the manual and elec. focus. By mid afternoon he was doing convergence. This took a loooong time, since he takes the time to reset all the fine points to 0, then realign the geometry, then reconverge. He did this for both SD and HD signals. He hardly even took a break! And my repeated attempts at offering him food or drink failed, always replying with "thanks, but I am fine."

Well, finally, at around 11:30 pm he was all done, and had me and my wife view a few scenes from DVD to make sure we were happy. From what I could tell we were definitely happy! But it was certainly late, and I really didn't get to test it much. The next day I was able to confirm things... the picture on all sources was slightly sharper, but more importantly, the colors were brighter and the black was dead on, without making the rest of the picture too dark.

So, was it worth it? For me, YES. But, I also know I am one to always strive to achieve the best. Just knowing that the TV is the "best that it can be" gives me a sense of peace. I want to add though, that if you are not the type to notice all the little details, than you may or may not want to have your set calibrated to such an extent. Like my brother, who just bought a HDTV after calling me many times with questions, admittedly states that whatever I would be happy with, take about 1/2 of that and he would be happy. He basically meant that he doesn't notice all the little details like me, and so he really probably would think such a calibration would be a waste of money. So, if you already think your TV looks fantastic, and are happy, then maybe hold off on a calibration. If you already feel something can be done to make your TV look better, or, if in the back of your mind you know you want that extra few percent of perfection, then CraigM can certainly achieve that! Overall, I feel very pleased with my calibration experience, and feel I made the right choice for me. I still have a little problem with the TV that so far, no one can fix... the dreaded "raster ringing". It is very faint and only visible in certain scenes, but sure enough, it is there (the jail bar effect of light and dark vertical bands - very faint) on the left side. I talked to both CraigM and Paul Carleton, and both of them even have it on there sets. I emailed Craig, and he even took the time to call me from his cell phone, and gave me a few suggestions to help allieviate the problem. Although it did help, the problem is not totally fixed (I do have ferrite beads already installed in the set). If CraigM some day has a fix for it, I would gladly have him back. He did mention that in a year or two, he may make a return "tour" to touch up those sets he had previously worked on, for a much lesser fee of course. Overall, even with the raster ringing, my set looks fantastic. I have compared it to many other sets, and feel strongly that for the money (with calibration added), I got the top set for the dollar that I could.

Anyway, my latest addition to my setup is an XBOX. I am having a blast with it, and it looks fantastic with the component hookup. I have Halo, Rallysport Racing, Project Gotham Racing, Dead or Alive 3, Silent Hill 2, Max Payne, Star Wars Starfighter SE, Hunter: The Reckoning, and now, I have added Morrowind. All of them are fun, and sometimes I don't know which I want to play first! Halo is just astounding, Rallysport is as fun as racing can get, and DOA3 just looks beautiful. Now with Hunter, a very addictive game and Morrowind, I have tons of titles to keep me using my XBOX for some time. I just got Morrowind, and have been thinking about the game all day.

Finally, anyone in my area have a 55809, or other ***09 model, and they need help with any tweaks, I have no problem offering my help. I am no expert, but now I have messed around in the menus enough that I feel pretty comfortable with them. At least, I can do convergence, focus, duvetyne, avm, and geometry. Also, I do have a geometry overlay template for the 55809.

If anyone in the area is also an XBOX owner and wants to play some multiplayer Halo, Hunter, DOA3, etc, I am welcome to that too. I don't have tons of free time, with a wife and baby, but it would be a blast to get some people together from time to time (I do manage to get some friends together at times, but it is always hard to plan for such things with differing schedules. And of course, not all my friends are into xbox).

My email is [email protected]

Sorry for the long post,

TB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.