AVS Forum banner

13701 - 13720 of 13760 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I struggled to figure this thing out...
I do a lot of computer networking...and I thought doing the TV stuff would be easy...
Not for me....

The Direct TV dish sat on the roof for about 6 years....we had no issue with Direct TV other than bad
weather....heavy snow etc....we got off Direct TV about 4-5 years ago....And the coax just sat there....had good reception on Direct TV....
Then we went to cable...Then the cable cost went too high...

So we wanted to save some $$$ and stream....

Even though the coax just sat outside in the sun...rain...snow...I didn't think something had gone "bad" with it...
Like CAT5 cables....never any issues with the actual cable itself....

Only after I got a roll of coax with connectors on both ends and tried it did I find the problem....Replaced the coax and
everything has worked beautifully....

What was wrong with the coax....have no idea.....but probably something with one of the connectors...

Glad you got yours working...and actually I'm kinda glad I was not the only living person on the earth with the same issue...:)

Good luck to you...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So what happened to ThisTV????? I kind of liked that channel for an occasional movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_TV

A number of former Tribune stations (Tribune had been acquired by Nexstar Media Group on September 19, 2019) dropped This TV towards the end of October 2019 due to a new agreement with Katz Broadcasting to carry the court/true crime news network Court TV made before the close of the Nexstar deal.[25] A few markets saw This TV move to a new station, though for the most part, the network has lost distribution from its own parent company in many major markets.
GRIT TV is also owned by Katz, hence probably part of this "deal" in adding Court TV to KPLR ;)

THIS TV still has an announcement on their main webpage re: moving in some areas:
https://thistv.com/

We lost THIS TV up here; it was replaced w/DABL; in Chicago it moved from WGN to a low-powered station WRJK; WGN also replaced it w/Court TV. ;)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Have to say this is the best I've ever seen Grit look. And it's in real 16x9 for a change (pretty sure 30-3 and 33-7 both broadcast it in 4x3 when they had it).

Wish they would have kept ThisTV and dumped Comet, though. I'm as big a sci-fi fan as anybody, probably bigger than most, but Comet is available on the Stirr streaming service for free and with better picture quality than 11-3 gives it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
So now there are FIVE subchannels on Channel 5? That's really going to bit-starve any HD video at times. On a related topic, I cannot help but wonder how adding all these subs will affect the picture quality of ASTC 3.0 signals if/when they arrive. The spec might call out for 4K and HDR video but will there be ample bandwidth for 4k HDR along with all the digital, SD locals that the stations seem compelled to include?

·
Registered
533 Posts
So now there are FIVE subchannels on Channel 5? That's really going to bit-starve any HD video at times. On a related topic, I cannot help but wonder how adding all these subs will affect the picture quality of ASTC 3.0 signals if/when they arrive. The spec might call out for 4K and HDR video but will there be ample bandwidth for 4k HDR along with all the digital, SD locals that the stations seem compelled to include?

Main HD feed which is now down to about 6 Mbps bandwidth plus 4 subchannels.

Does anyone know if Spectrum gets the off-air signal (and thus is limited to the same compression as the OTA signal) or has a dedicated fiber link that may be higher bandwidth?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Does anyone know if Spectrum gets the off-air signal (and thus is limited to the same compression as the OTA signal) or has a dedicated fiber link that may be higher bandwidth?
Probably a dedicated link, but I fear your question may be moot since the cable & satellite providers do enough over-compression of their own to severely reduce PQ.:frown:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Probably a dedicated link, but I fear your question may be moot since the cable & satellite providers do enough over-compression of their own to severely reduce PQ.:frown:
I have Spectrum so am definitely aware of this. Used to be the case that for things like live sports, it was better to watch OTA because of higher bandwidth. But now I'm wondering if the feed I get through Spectrum may actually be better than the OTA equivalent on KMOV. Guess the only way to know for sure is to test them side by side so I'll try that when I have some time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have Spectrum so am definitely aware of this. Used to be the case that for things like live sports, it was better to watch OTA because of higher bandwidth. But now I'm wondering if the feed I get through Spectrum may actually be better than the OTA equivalent on KMOV. Guess the only way to know for sure is to test them side by side so I'll try that when I have some time.
Try viewing events via streaming if possible. I find that most on Fox Sports, NBC, NFL, etc. look best via my Roku. Of course, this assumes the event is available via those services. Sadly, one more reason for cord-cutting.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
KTVI is telling us to rescan because it moved. Sure enough, no KTVI on the TV this morning.

Rescanned, still no KTVI.

Re-rescanned, KTVI came back.

Went to Tivo and KTVI is still there, even though I did NOT rescan yet.

Confused yet? I am.

·
Registered
165 Posts
KTVI is telling us to rescan because it moved. Sure enough, no KTVI on the TV this morning.

Rescanned, still no KTVI.

Re-rescanned, KTVI came back.

Went to Tivo and KTVI is still there, even though I did NOT rescan yet.

Confused yet? I am.

Hey Robert, I didn't get confused. I just kept an eye on the St. Louis RabbitEars Live Bandscan tuner. Looks like KTVI did the flip a few minutes before 10 AM CDT...

https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php...&tno=1&sort=all&hours=1&tzone=CT&unit=&auto=Y

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
198 Posts
KNLC went off the air a little after 3:00 PM yesterday (3/23) due to a fiber cut. They are also off all cable/satellite providers. I don't know the ETA on a repair.
Shocking that they don't have some basic equipment at the transmitter site that would automatically kick in to loop play all their commercials for reverse mortgages, consumer cellular, catheters, car warranties, senior life insurance and tax relief. So much lost revenue!

13701 - 13720 of 13760 Posts